Grants:PEG/WM US-NYC/Short term funding program
IMPORTANT: Please do not make changes to this page now. They will be reverted.
- This project has been funded, completed, and a project report has been reviewed and accepted by WMF Staff.
- To review a list of other funded submissions by fiscal year, please visit the Requests subpage, and to review the WMF Grants Program criteria for funding please visit the Grants:Index.
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia New York City
- Grant contact name
- Peter Coti
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Richard Knipel
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Short Term Funding Program
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- USD 2,000
- Provisional target start date
- April 1, 2012
- Provisional completion date
- July 1, 2012
- Fees to start experimenting with basic marketing techniques. This will include paying for HootSuite, purchasing buttons/stickers, and other small goods to help support increasing membership of the chapter and getting more involved in schools. I personally have a large book of ideas on how to cover this that includes guerrilla marketing techinques that put more emphasis on getting more bang for the buck for outreach purposes.: USD 500
- General funds for small projects, small development expenses, and mixed appropriation. Nothing is certain on what to spend this amount on. This will go into being a safety net if we ever need to incur charges that are minuscule and are too small for another grant.: USD 500
- Wikimania Takes Manhattan. This is a project of our own that will help raise awareness about the projects and be a major outreach event for us. This will cover fliers, food, and tents. USD 1000
The goal is to further expand the impact Wikimedia NYC has in the tri-state area and be able to pay essecential fees to keep up day-to-day operations until a more refined budget can be developed.
- Help increase the membership of Wikimedia NYC by 250% by December 31st, 2012
- Encourage more volunteerism by current members
- Increase brand awareness of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Develop connections with local cultural and educational institutions
Project scope and list of activities
Further development and implementation of experiments in the New York tri-state area will be attempted by volunteers.
The sharing of relevant Wikimedia Foundation nonprofit management experience, as well as learning whatever is needed to integrate our online infrastructure with other Wikimedia efforts.
Fit to strategy
This will ideally help discover how Wikimedia NYC as a chapter can help increase reach, participation, and gain credibility for the Wikimedia Foundation projects as we will be interacting more with the community we serve then we have done in the past.
This will allow us to help develop educational partnerships in the local community that we would not other wise not be able to.
Measures of success
If any changes comes because of this funding it will easily be measurable as we keep detailed statistics on social media influence and how many members we have. This project can be measured as a success if we become better able to manage general operational expenses, and are able to develop and pursue strategies needed for our longer-term existence as an organization. The overall success of these implementations can be done by self grading ourselves on how well we believe we have progressed from the start and to the end of the grant.
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: