Grants:PEG/WM ZA/Gauteng meeting
IMPORTANT: Please do not make changes to this page now. They will be reverted.
- This project has been funded, completed, and a project report has been reviewed and accepted by WMF Staff.
- To review a list of other funded submissions by fiscal year, please visit the Requests subpage, and to review the WMF Grants Program criteria for funding please visit the Grants:Index.
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia ZA
- For organizations: Are you a for-profit entity? No
- For organizations: If non-profit (US) or equivalent (outside the US) status is available in your country, do you have or are you pursuing such status (please be specific): Yes
- For individual applicants: Please note that if your request is accepted you will be required to provide documentation verifying your full legal name and address.
- Grant contact name
- Lourie Pieterse
- Grant contact username or email
- User:LouriePieterse and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Lourie Pieterse
- Project lead username or email
- Full project name
- WLM Gauteng meeting
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- Provisional target start date
- 19 July 2012
- Provisional completion date
- 21 July 2012
|Units||Cost per unit (US Dollars)||Total cost (US Dollars)|
|Transit to venue GP group||5||10||50|||
|Transit to venue CT group||1||180||180|||
|WM-ZA Board Meeting|
- ↑ Costs to fly the four organisers of the Cape Town group to Gauteng (GP).
- ↑ There will be costs to get to the venue for GP group.
- ↑ There will be car rental costs to get to the venue for CT group.
- ↑ During the meeting it will be nice to have lunch and some coffee. :)
- ↑ There will be accomodation costs for the Cape Town group.
- ↑ During the meeting it will be nice to have breakfast. :)
- ↑ The amount was rounded up from $1800 for simplicity.
We are currently making very good progress with the Wiki Loves Monuments competition. The one group of organisers is based in Cape Town and the other group in Gauteng, which is geographically a problem for meetings. We want to improve the structure of the WLM competition and reach consensus on what the outcomes should be. It is difficult to discuss this electronically because of conflicting time schedules and lack of good internet connectivity for teleconferencing. The Cape Town group would like to meet up with the other group of organisers in Gauteng to discuss these topics. Also, when in Gauteng we would like to meet with the current board members. Two board members have resigned, and we have agreed that new board members will be elected at the first AGM, to be scheduled between December 2012 and February 2013. There has until recently been a reticence by board members to discuss matters that are pertinent to the development of the Chapter. There is a renewed commitment by board members to double up on tasks to set in place an operational infrastructure and governance policy in preparation for the forthcoming AGM.
Project scope and list of activities
Find below a list of the planned outcomes of this meeting:
- By structuring the WLM competition better there is a greater chance of success for this project.
- We can improve our approach by more efficiently dividing tasks among the organisers and reaching consensus in person on what the outcomes should be.
- We will also schedule meetings with potential sponsors/partners who are based in Johannesburg over the two days we will be there.
- Discuss and agree upon a timeline to have a broader meeting that will cover all matters pertaining to Chapter infrastructure development, governance, projects and budgets.
Fit to strategy
The meeting covered by this grant is aligned with the Wikimedia Foundation's strategic plan to increase participation, increase reach and improve quality, especially in countries of the so-called Global South. The Wiki Loves Monuments competition is one of the ways we are proposing to let the the South African community know that we exist. We are able to achieve the strategic goals by meeting in person with the other group in Gauteng, to overcome some of the limitations already mentioned.
No direct benefits.
Measures of success
This meeting will be considered successful if we could reach consensus on the following:
- Decide on precise outcomes for the WLM competition, which would improve the efficiency of the group by not spending unnecessary time on ideas of lower importance.
- Divide the different tasks regarding the competition among the organisers, to avoid duplication of effort.
- Get confirmation of buy in from sponsors.
- Agree on ways of working towards achieving a common purpose which will create understanding between WMZA board members and increase general efficiency.
Team members (optional)
WLM Cape Town group
- Lourie Pieterse
- Isla Haddow-Flood
- Douglas Scott
WLM Gauteng group
- Dumisani Ndubane
- Blessing Chataira
Wikimedia ZA board
- Lourie Pieterse (Cape Town)
- David Richfield (Gauteng)
- Charlene Foster (Gauteng)
- Mohau Monaledi (Gauteng)
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: