Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Jojit fb/2nd Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Pangasinan
Questions about your proposal
Dear Jojit fb,
Thank you for your submission on behalf of the Pangasinan Wikipedia community! We're glad to see this as a follow-up to your 2014 event, and are excited to see you keep up the good work! Before we are able to make a decision, we have a few questions and comments:
- We recommend that you make swag requests here. Please note that while we are willing to fund certain items such as stickers and pins, we won't fund t-shirts outside of contests or competitions.
- In the Resources section you budgeted for 40 people for each event, but you indicated 20 per editathon in the Impact section. Please let us know which is the more accurate number, and update them in your proposal.
- Thank you for identifying other experienced Wikimedians to help with this project! Are you also able to find other local experienced volunteers in these areas to help at these events? We encourage applicants to identify experienced local Wikimedians who would be able to join, as they would be able to provide more sustainable support for their communities in the future. We generally do not fund airfare for longer-distance travel to locations where other volunteers could provide the same support.
- We're happy to see that you've written to some of your village pump channels to gather more endorsements for this proposal! We encourage you to update us with other places you have notified about these editathons (mailing lists, social media) that would help us get a sense of the involvement from your community, and look forward to seeing more endorsements. :)
- Hi Morgan,
- Here are my replies:
- In the link that you provided for requesting swags, it says there that it would take at least one month to process the order of swags. One of the events will happen in less than a month. Would it be possible to just acquire the services of local vendors to reproduce those swags and include the expenses for locally produced swags in this proposal? The Pangasinan Wikipedia Community is thinking of giving away lanyards for the participants of the edit-a-thons.
- The Pangasinan Wikipedia Community invited 35 persons in each of the edit-a-thons plus 5 persons who are part of the organizing team including us, for a total of 40 persons. I have indicated 20 as a goal because based on experience, not all invited persons show up. I increased it to 25 as our goal for the number of persons who will attend the edit-a-thon.
- Yes, we did identify local Wikipedians within the vicinity of the edit-a-thon venue at Pangasinan. But these Wikipedians are either not available or wanted to remain anonymous. In the second edit-a-thon at Tuguegarao, Cagayan, we haven't identified any because we don't know any Wikipedians there. The Pangasinan Wikipedia Community choose Tuguegarao because it is one of the regional centers of North Luzon and they think that is viable for recruiting new editors. We, Wikimedians from Manila, chose to travel to Tuguegarao through airplane because it would take more than 12 hours to get there by bus. By taking the bus, the time that will be spent on travel could have been spent in meeting with the local organizers if we had taken the plane. In Lingayen, Pangasinan, the only option is taking a bus and the traveling there would take roughly 6 hours.
- Yes, we will update you regarding announcements that we will post on other means.
- Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks.
Willing to fund at US$250
Hi Jojit fb,
Thank you for your responses. We see the benefit in engaging this region of the Philippines, and it makes sense to have local swag produced in time for your project start date. With these considerations in mind, we are willing to fund only the first event in Lingayan. While we understand that you have good reasons for outreach in Tuguegarao, we are concerned about providing US$550 for three people for an event without clear indication of participants of this scale. We are also concerned about the precedent that funding this request would set for local volunteer-run projects through Rapid Grants, most of which do not require long-distance travel for editor recruitment. If you would like to proceed with running only one event, we can fund this request for US$250, and would encourage this as a pilot for a series of editathons in the future to provide continued support for the local community there. If you do not believe you can complete the project without this second editathon, you may prefer to withdraw your request. We understand this decision may be disappointing, but we are still very supportive of your group and your work, and hope this decision does not discourage you.
- Hi Morgan,
- Thanks for your reply. We are delighted that you recognize our efforts. We agree with you that this would be a pilot for future edit-a-thons in North Luzon.
- With that, upon consulting with the Vanj Padilla of the Pangasinan Wikipedia Community, the Tuguegarao event is currently shelved and the Lingayen, Pangasinan edit-a-thon will proceed as planned. Thus, the rapid grant proposal is now modified to reflect only the Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Pangasinan, which has a budget of $ 250 (PHP 12500). Since we are pursuing only one event, may we request to move the page of this rapid grant to Grants:Project/Rapid/Jojit_fb/2nd_Wikipedia_Edit-a-thon_in_Pangasinan?
- Thanks for your support.
- Hello Jojit, yes, please proceed with the move (but please leave a redirect for now) and amend the proposal to reflect only the one editathon. We'll have all we want in the history of needed. Do move the talk page with it. Once you're done please send us an email at rapidgrants@ Thanks! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 14:58, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support. Keep up the good work guys! -Filipinayzd (talk) 05:57, 11 March 2017 (UTC) Filipinayzd (talk) 05:57, 11 March 2017 (UTC)
Dear Jojit, we're happy to confirm that your request has been funded in full for a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Pagasinan for an amount of 250 USD. We'll reach out per email about how to go forward. We're looking forward to learn how your project went! Best, Delphine (WMF) (talk) 21:26, 13 March 2017 (UTC)