Thank you for submitting this request. We are happy to approve this request for participation in FOSSASIA2017. We typically only fund participants from the region of focus, but your experience running similar hackathons and as a technical advocate in the movement makes your participation in FOSSASIA very worthwhile.
Please review the next steps for your grant as described in "How the program works". Your post-event report must provide a link to an outcome from your participation. We recommend that you start planning your outcome now so you are prepared to submit it as part of your report, which is due 14 days after the event. We would like to hear in your report about how your goals were met.
Note that an outcome does not include the materials you prepare to present at the event (though we’d like you to link to those, too), but something that is created during or after the event because of your participation, such as a link to something new that was co-created by you and your fellow participants at the event, a blog post you wrote to share your experience with others after the event, or a learning pattern to teach others something you've learned at the event. If you choose to make a learning pattern, think creatively about what you learned. Did you address a target audience about whom you have special expertise (for example, a physicist presenting at a conference for physicists about how to use Wikipedia)? Your learning pattern might focus on a strategy you employed that was successful in engaging that specific audience in our projects.
Our Grants Administrator will be in touch with you about your grant. Thank you for work on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Thank you, and a request
Thank you for this one team. Let me push in something which just came up. There is an annual KDE conference happening in Eastern India during 10 - 12 March, and the organizer just pinged me few days before asking if I would be interested in joining them as a speaker to talk about GSoC. Since its an technical university, and KDE did fund my travel last month to the WikiToLearn India conf, he just thought I should know about this. I just thought about it, and found that if I can do the mathematics correctly, this would work out like this:
- I plan a round trip to Western India - bombay, leaving on 9 March, and returning on 30 March, 2017 (there is Wikiconference Berlin on 31).
- I plan a round trip from Southern India to Singapore, leaving on 16 March, and returning on 20 March, 2017 (I can spend like a week at my hometown too at South)
- KDE promised to take me from Western India to the place of conference and back to my hometown.
I calculated the costs involved - and taking a look at the cheapest fair available:
|TXL (BERLIN)||16 March, 2017||SIN||20 March, 201||504||Turkish Airlines, orginal plan|
was the one which we had plan to book, and going by 1 and 2:
|TXL (BERLIN)||BOM(Bombay)||30 March, 2017||430||Turkish Airlines, round trip - new plan|
|COK(Kochi)||16 March, 2017||SIN||20 March, 2017||152||Air Asia, round trip - new plan|
The total for the new plan amounts to 582 Eur, and I acknowledge that I am responsible for that change. In case WMF is not able to do the booking, I can do this myself. If everything goes as per plan - this would be a two conference in one go. 01tonythomas (talk) 20:41, 16 February 2017 (UTC)
- Hi 01tonythomas. Thanks for this update. It's great that you will be able to take advantage of participating in two conferences with one trip. We are happy to cover the additional 82 EUR in flight costs. Please note that any additional costs beyond the approved budget and unrelated with your participation at FOSSASIA would be paid by you. WMF will also not be able to book your travel since it will include additional location/s. Best, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 21:30, 16 February 2017 (UTC)
|From||Date||To||Date||Granted Price (EUR)||Booked price (EUR)||Status||Comments|
|TXL (BERLIN)||8 March, 2017||BOM(Bombay)||30 March, 2017||430||403||Confirmed||Turkish Airlines, round trip|
|COK(Kochi)||16 March, 2017||SIN||20 March, 2017||152||162||Confirmed||Malindo Airlines, round trip|
|Item||Granted amount||Incurred amount (Eur)|
|Standard Speaker ticket||Eur 245||245|
Additional Expenses (other than granted)
|Dinner||(was not provided as part of the conf)3* 4 SGD||8|
|Travel (to-and fro to conference venue)||2.3 * 8 SGD||12.18|
Total granted = 922 Eur
Total requested = 565 + 309 + 40.18 = 914.18 Eur (Including additional expenses)
Excluding additional expenses = 565 + 309 = 874 Eur
- Slides at Developing your Mediawiki extension in 80 minutes
- Workshop manual prepared for attendees: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:TPS/01tonythomas/FOSSASIA2017#Progress