Growing Local Language Content on Wikipedia (Project Tiger 2.0)/Writing Contest/Topics/Proposal for additional items with pan-national interests
Here is a proposal to suggest some potential articles those need to be in every Wikipedias in India in particular and Indian subcontinent at large. The idea is to generate a long term wish list by community consensus. Special focus is on educational needs of a common school / college student or a common man from India / South Asia who uses Wikimedia content as a reference to enrich his/her day to day knowledge.
Choosing a theme and its item members on such a list may include topics of long term value. They will be of a rather finite count in tens or hundreds so that each stakeholder Wikipedia can feel having a repository that is fully saturated. (For eg: all elements appearing in the periodical table of chemical elements or all persons who have received a Nobel prize up to now). These are of finite count and long-term knowledge value.
My proposal is to build-up a large list that can be further subdivided into smaller ones on a priority chosen by community consensus and used as material for ediatathons, contests and theme based on-line events.
- Such lists will have a direct impact upon fulfilled Wikidata collections. Those who wish to concentrate on Wikidata content development can take away these article set as a more reliable and cross-checking input.
- Interwiki translations will be much more easy and effective.
- Citations and templates can be reused and cross-verified.
- Queries based on Wikimedia content will be more reliable.
- Newly joining Wikipedia editors can adapt one of such category and use them as model articles to create and expand articles on their own. Others can help them much more effectively and objectively.
- Many of such topics are already part of greater Wikipedia Wish lists such as the most vital 1000 or 10000 articles every Wikipedia must have. This way, we can accomplish fulfilling multiple Wikimedia targets.
- This is only a start up sample list. Please add any more suggestions you deem fit to this list.
- Please endorse your Support or Oppose options against each one below. I shall try to build up precise lists of articles in each such themes as a sub page here or on a fresh path.
List of all chemical elements
List of metals and minerals
List of chemical compounds
farming and agriculture
list of medical terminology
list of basic astronomical phenomena
list of astronomical objects
list of basic principles of physics
list of branches of zoology
lists of branches of botany
Space /Satellite Science
- Mars Orbiter Mission
- Mars Orbiter Mission 2
- (Please expand this list)
Empires, emperors and Dynasties
Keladi Nayaka Empire
Mysore Wodeyar Empire
Bijapuar Sultanate Empire
Indian National Independence Movement
Wars and battles
List of all nations
List of all mountains
List of all rivers
List of all islands
- Detailed List w:List of islands of India
People in sports
List of sports
Sports rules and regulations
Software by operating system
Software by type
History of software
India - Administration
List of Laws
List of all states
List of all official languages
List of all Loksabha constituencies
List of all prime ministers
List of all presidents
List of all Government agencies
India - Biographies
List of all GyanpeeTh laureates
List of all Filmfare award winners
List of National / international Sports winners
List of sahitya academy Winners
India - Institutions
List of all IITs
List of universities
List of research institutions of national importants
List of NITs
List of institutions in medical education
India - Infrastructure
List of all national Highways
List of all airports
List of all international airports
List of dams
Film and video terminology
History of film
Travel / Museum / Monnuments
- National Salt Satyagrah Memorial
- National War Memorial (India)
- Dras War Memorial
- Imphal War Cemetery
- Lascar War Memorial