IRC office hours/Office hours 2015-01-16

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Wikidata office hours (2015-01-16)[edit]

  • Commons (aude, 18:04:01)
    • LINK: :) (aude, 18:05:59)
    • usage tracking is being enabled (tentatively Feb 2) on Wikidata, then commons is next after (no date yet) (aude, 18:19:25)
    • being worked on pretty quickly now by Nik, Stas, Gabriel and jzerebecki (but don't have date yet for when it is ready) (aude, 18:24:44)

Meeting ended at 19:03:31 UTC.

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4 (


Time: 18:00-19:00 UTC
Channel: #wikimedia-office
Timestamps are in UTC.
18:03:35 <aude> #startmeeting Wikidata office hours
18:03:35 <wm-labs-meetbot`> Meeting started Fri Jan 16 18:03:35 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is aude. Information about MeetBot at
18:03:35 <wm-labs-meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
18:03:35 <wm-labs-meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to 'wikidata_office_hours'
18:03:49 <Lydia_WMDE> ok then let's start with commons
18:03:49 <sjoerddebruin> Yay!
18:03:56 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: do you have specific questions?
18:03:58 <sjoerddebruin> (that's for the bot thing btw)
18:04:01 <aude> #topic commons
18:04:20 <PKM> Status of next step on Commons linkage?
18:04:32 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
18:04:38 <Lydia_WMDE> so the current state is this:
18:05:05 <Lydia_WMDE> * commons can access sitelinks and data from items connected to the page directly through a sitelink
18:05:23 <Lydia_WMDE> * we're working on enabling arbitrary access so you can also access data from other items
18:05:43 <aude> it's enabled now on and test.wikidata
18:05:58 <Lydia_WMDE> i hope we can get that done in february but we've had some setbacks with enabling arbitrary access with usage tracking on wikidata itself just now
18:05:59 <aude> :)
18:06:20 <PKM> Does sitelink in this case include the properties Commons Category and Commons Institution page?
18:06:21 <Lydia_WMDE> once it is running on wikidata we'll go for commons next
18:06:44 <aude> tentative to enable usage tracking on wikidata on february 2
18:06:50 <jzerebecki> PKM: no
18:07:04 <aude> (no deploys the next two weeks, due to mediawiki developer summit and wmf staff meetings)
18:07:11 <sjoerddebruin> wut
18:07:27 <sjoerddebruin> So I have borked translations for two weeks?
18:07:43 <aude> sjoerddebruin: translations are automatically updated, afaik
18:07:48 <aude> still would happen
18:08:12 <sjoerddebruin> Hmpf, why is there no clear announcement about it?
18:08:17 <Lydia_WMDE> sjoerddebruin: let's check after this office hour if the dutch translation for that string is done or not yet
18:08:18 <sjoerddebruin> Should be in tech news.
18:08:30 <sjoerddebruin> Lydia_WMDE: talking about other translations now.
18:08:35 <Lydia_WMDE> ah
18:08:36 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
18:08:40 <sjoerddebruin> Someone forgot two headers of the sitelink section.
18:08:54 <sjoerddebruin>
18:09:20 <sjoerddebruin> Fixed that on Wednesday, but that was too late it seems.
18:09:25 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
18:10:50 <Lydia_WMDE> sjoerddebruin: do you know if the translation has been done already and is just missing deployment?
18:11:08 <sjoerddebruin> The sitelink one?
18:11:11 <Lydia_WMDE> yeah
18:11:21 <sjoerddebruin> Like I said, fixed them Wednesday.
18:11:29 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
18:11:36 <PKM> Will Commons Category and Commons Institution be linked in the next phase, or later?
18:11:47 <sjoerddebruin> And translations don't go automatic. Experienced that with the holiday break.
18:11:59 <sjoerddebruin> It's really annoying to have two breaks in such short time.
18:13:01 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: can you clarify what you want linked where please?
18:14:36 <Stryn> sjoerddebruin: if it's so annoying you can locally translate those; e.g. and delete after they comes from translatewiki
18:15:00 <PKM> I think the Wikidata item should show up in the left tools column when the category or institution page is viewed, unless swollen has a better plan.
18:15:01 <sjoerddebruin> Stryn: Well, let's do that then.
18:15:31 <PKM> I have the wikidata-link-at-the-top option turned on and I really like that.
18:15:38 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: hmm that should already be happening. can you point me to an example where it is not?
18:15:57 <PKM> Maybe there's just a delay on new items
18:16:16 <PKM> That is, newly made links?
18:16:27 <jzerebecki> Lydia_WMDE: even when that page has no sitelink to the wd item?
18:16:29 <Lydia_WMDE> shouldn't matter much
18:16:40 <Lydia_WMDE> jzerebecki: no it needs a sitelink
18:17:05 * PKM goes to look
18:17:07 <aude> Lydia_WMDE: are you sure this works already (a gadget? or something?)
18:17:09 <GerardM-> it used to be that translations were updated daily
18:17:24 <GerardM-> any clue why this is no longer the case ?
18:17:53 <GerardM-> My question would be when can we have the delight of an official query tool ?
18:18:08 <Lydia_WMDE> heh
18:18:10 <Lydia_WMDE> well
18:18:11 <aude> Intitution:British Museum might be connected to item "Institution:British Museum"
18:18:22 <PKM> Example:,_Pisa
18:18:24 <aude> but not to Item "British Museum"
18:18:29 <Lydia_WMDE> it is being worked on pretty quickly now by Nik, Stas, Gabriel and jzerebecki
18:18:49 <Lydia_WMDE> i am not going to speculate on a release date
18:18:56 <Lydia_WMDE> but they are pretty quick
18:19:09 <GerardM-> days weeks months years ?
18:19:15 <jzerebecki> PKM: that page is not site linked on wikidata
18:19:16 <Lydia_WMDE> currently they are collecting input for which query language to select
18:19:25 <aude> #info usage tracking is being enabled (tentatively Feb 2) on Wikidata, then commons is next after (no date yet)
18:19:31 <Lydia_WMDE> i'd say a few months
18:19:33 <GerardM-> I do not mind you to be wrong I prefer you to be realistic
18:19:53 <GerardM-> so by Wikimania we might have something
18:20:18 <Lydia_WMDE> jzerebecki: ? ;-)
18:20:25 <sjoerddebruin> As long it's not becoming something like SUL.
18:20:44 <GerardM-> I prefer WDQ anyday over nothing
18:20:51 <Lydia_WMDE> totally
18:21:56 <PKM> jzerebecki: right, but it's defined as the commons institution page, which as a user I would expect to generate a link.
18:22:21 <PKM> Having to also make a Commonswiki link seems redundant.
18:22:39 <GerardM-> jzerebecki: will there be some room to move tools to the new query environment ?
18:23:13 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: agreed. technical details why this is not the case. with arbitrary access i think we can solve this
18:23:21 <GerardM-> will it be feasible at all ?
18:23:42 <PKM> Lydia_WMDE: great, thank you
18:23:45 <jzerebecki> Lydia_WMDE: sounds realistic, though it is hard say when a public query language will be more reliable than
18:23:50 <Lydia_WMDE> GerardM-: i don't think there is any plan to switch off wdq so as long as it is kept running tools can migrate
18:24:44 <aude> #info being worked on pretty quickly now by Nik, Stas, Gabriel and jzerebecki (but don't have date yet for when it is ready)
18:24:49 <Lydia_WMDE> that is it is up to magnus to decide how much time he wants to put into it and when to shut it down
18:25:38 <jzerebecki> GerardM-: it is my understanding that one of the goals is to have something that is publicly accessible and at least as powerful as but more stable
18:28:10 <Lydia_WMDE> ok next topic then: have you already provided input on ?
18:28:23 <Lydia_WMDE> i am sure vrandecic would love some more
18:29:22 <aude> #topic Freebase and sources
18:29:33 <vrandecic> Yes, the more the merrier! :)
18:29:39 <Lydia_WMDE> :D
18:29:44 <aude> #info
18:29:53 <aude> ah,
18:29:55 <aude> #link
18:30:25 <Lydia_WMDE> vrandecic: anything you are looking for input on in particular?
18:30:55 <sjoerddebruin> Freebase identifiers would make it easier to find things right?
18:31:21 <Lydia_WMDE> they help with the mapping yeah
18:31:32 <vrandecic> does anynone know if citoid would work with wikidata?
18:31:41 <sjoerddebruin> There should be a game to encourage people to add them.
18:32:01 <vrandecic> yes, we need the mappings to create the files with the data to upload
18:32:15 <Scott_WUaS>
18:32:22 <vrandecic> sjoerddebruin: I guess it will be similar to the games
18:32:23 <aude> vrandecic: it might but really don't know and don't know how difficult it would be to make it work
18:32:35 <aude> #link
18:32:46 <sjoerddebruin> vrandecic: Yes, but you first need to be right that the item on Wikidata is the same as the entry on Freebase.
18:33:01 <vrandecic> sjoerddebruin: true :)
18:33:12 <sjoerddebruin> There are still a lot of missing connections.
18:33:20 <vrandecic> there are a lot of mappings already
18:33:22 <aude> i think it would make sense to make use and integrate with existing system like citoid, but just don't know how feasible
18:33:33 <vrandecic> I recently checked for the nationality data
18:33:45 <Scott_WUaS> Is Zotero compatible with Wikidata - Citoid works with this
18:34:01 <vrandecic> and of the 800-900k statements we have, about 600k were mapped both on the subject and object
18:34:14 <Lydia_WMDE> not bad
18:34:47 <sjoerddebruin> I think it's still hard for users to add references.
18:34:55 <Lydia_WMDE> it is
18:34:57 <vrandecic> yes, that's the main pain point
18:35:06 <sjoerddebruin> You need to put a lot of effort in them before they show up in the entity suggester.
18:35:14 <Lydia_WMDE> so in terms of redesign: we're tackling the header area now
18:35:24 <Lydia_WMDE> as well as doing fixes on the sitelink section
18:35:32 <Lydia_WMDE> after that the statement section is the target
18:35:45 <Lydia_WMDE> one of the things we will do there is make it easier to add references
18:35:53 <Lydia_WMDE> allowing you to do it in one step for example
18:36:32 <vrandecic> Lydia_WMDE: can you make sure that this is usable outside a Wikidata page? that would help a lot with the primary sources tool!
18:37:04 <Lydia_WMDE> vrandecic: hah - we will try yeah
18:37:19 <sjoerddebruin> But if you click on add reference, you end up in a dead end most of the times...
18:37:20 <PKM> It would be great to add the same reference to multiple statements in one step.
18:37:43 <sjoerddebruin> How will people find ?
18:37:51 <sjoerddebruin> or ?
18:38:26 <Lydia_WMDE> sjoerddebruin: they do not show up still? maybe we need to tweak the threshold there
18:38:44 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: we're thinking of making it easier to copy an existing reference
18:38:49 <sjoerddebruin> I think the threshold for references is too damn high.
18:38:53 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
18:39:32 <Lydia_WMDE> i'll file a ticket so we can look into this
18:39:45 <Lydia_WMDE> might well be that we need another treshold for references than claims
18:39:58 <sjoerddebruin> I've already suggested that some properties should show up as default there.
18:40:13 <PKM> Wacky thought - has anyone ever suggest a 'reference ISBN' as a property, externally linked, to skip the whole problem that the entity, book, publisher etc don't already exist?
18:41:31 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: i think this is best brought up on the talk page of
18:41:39 <PKM> Will do!
18:41:57 <Lydia_WMDE> sjoerddebruin: ah right. i need to find those tickets again as well
18:41:58 <Scott_WUaS> PKM: good idea :)
18:42:22 <vrandecic> (this Webinterface of freenode offers a lot of room for improvement)
18:42:29 <Lydia_WMDE> haha
18:42:33 <sjoerddebruin> Lydia_WMDE: ;)
18:42:38 <Lydia_WMDE> thanks!
18:43:58 <Lydia_WMDE> ok next topic - development plan
18:44:07 <Lydia_WMDE> i took some time to update
18:44:11 <aude> #topic development plan
18:44:16 <Lydia_WMDE> in case you have not seen it yet
18:44:17 <aude> #link
18:44:36 <sjoerddebruin> That was huge needed imo
18:44:43 <Lydia_WMDE> :)
18:44:49 <sjoerddebruin> Hey look, "Improved user experience for referencing"
18:44:52 <sjoerddebruin> ;)
18:44:57 <Lydia_WMDE> if anything on there is unclear or something super important is missing please say so
18:45:02 <Lydia_WMDE> hehe
18:45:03 <Lydia_WMDE> right
18:45:30 <vrandecic> I would vote for moving Wiktionary up
18:45:31 <sjoerddebruin> Seems like there is also something for PKM: "A user adds one piece of information of a reference like its ISBN. The tool then automatically adds the other necessary information"
18:45:42 <aude> hah, the Yes check.svg Done thing is localized (in spanish for me) :)
18:45:48 * PKM does happy dance
18:46:11 <Lydia_WMDE> vrandecic: not just you it seems -.-
18:46:23 <Lydia_WMDE> just had someone email me today about it
18:46:26 <vrandecic> I would be very sad if it was just me :)
18:46:31 <Lydia_WMDE> haha
18:46:32 <sjoerddebruin> Wiktionary is a popular thing it seems.
18:46:35 <Lydia_WMDE> true
18:46:37 <PKM> I think that assumes that the reference already exists as an item (of that's what I assumed when I read it)
18:46:48 <vrandecic> aude: you might enjoy my user page - highly localized
18:46:57 <sjoerddebruin> PKM: Maybe the tool can make items. :)
18:47:05 <aude> :)
18:47:12 <PKM> sjoerddebruin: yes please
18:47:14 <Lydia_WMDE> PKM: no this is more about looking up zotero or something similar. how exactly it'd work/look i am not sure yet
18:47:23 <PKM> Oh hooray
18:47:32 <Scott_WUaS> Lydia_WMDE: can you say please where these "Wikidata/Notes/Future" projects - - fit in with ?
18:47:48 <Lydia_WMDE> uhhhhh blast from the past :D
18:47:50 <Lydia_WMDE> let me look
18:47:56 * aude is getting into editing wiktionary some (while trying to learn german etc.)
18:48:04 <aude> omg, interwiki links would be so nice there :)
18:48:12 <aude> can't wait
18:48:31 <aude> not to mention the structured stuff
18:48:56 <Lydia_WMDE> Scott_WUaS: ah ok. so this was mostly collecting input on future uses of Wikidata. i am not sure this is useful anymore to be honest
18:49:12 <Scott_WUaS> Thanks
18:49:15 <jzerebecki> omg, yes please, structured wiktionary!
18:49:29 <Lydia_WMDE> yes yes yes ;-)
18:49:30 <Lydia_WMDE> but!
18:49:31 <vrandecic> +2
18:49:42 <Lydia_WMDE> focus please people ;-) let's get the ones we have working
18:49:45 <Lydia_WMDE> then commons
18:49:48 <Lydia_WMDE> then wiktionary
18:49:49 <Lydia_WMDE> ;-)
18:49:49 <vrandecic> no buts, just do it :)
18:49:53 <Lydia_WMDE> lol
18:49:55 <Lydia_WMDE> right
18:50:33 <Lydia_WMDE> seriously though. one thing at a time *product hat on*
18:50:43 <Scott_WUaS> Lydia_WMDE: Is there another Wikidata link for external CC projects and as they relate to the ? I understand there are a lot of these
18:50:44 <Lydia_WMDE> and with freebase we really need to focus on:
18:50:46 <Lydia_WMDE> * scaling
18:50:50 <Lydia_WMDE> * better user interface
18:50:57 <Lydia_WMDE> * tools to improve data quality
18:51:29 <Lydia_WMDE> and then glorious wiktionary world ;-)
18:51:40 <vrandecic> if we withhold Freebase for a few months, will we get Wiktionary earlier? ;)
18:51:54 <Lydia_WMDE> vrandecic: rofl. evil plans!
18:51:57 <Lydia_WMDE> i see them coming
18:52:36 <Lydia_WMDE> Scott_WUaS: hmmm no i don't think so right now besides the old page you linked to
18:53:20 <Lydia_WMDE> alright we're nearing the end of the office hour. any last big things to talk about today?
18:53:49 <sjoerddebruin> Where is my shirt?
18:53:57 <sjoerddebruin> (talking about big things)
18:54:03 <Lydia_WMDE> sjoerddebruin: being ordered atm ;-)
18:54:09 <vrandecic> would anyone mind if I steal those minutes with a few questions re the Freebase data?
18:54:17 <Lydia_WMDE> go for it
18:54:34 <vrandecic> What should we do with external keys, like VIAF, etc.?
18:54:44 <vrandecic> do people want to use references for those and if so, what?
18:55:19 <Lydia_WMDE> did you look at the existing referenes max made when he was there?
18:55:19 <Scott_WUaS> member:Lydia_WMDE: Thanks, Lydia ... where please is the Wikidata planning page for Freebase integration, if there is one ?
18:55:21 <aude> #topic Freebase (questions for denny)
18:55:28 <PKM> VIAF is it's own reference
18:55:33 <PKM> Its
18:55:34 <vrandecic> and second, my thinking is that instead of introducing new items, we should go for making the graph betweens those that we already have in wikidata denser. Anyone disagreeing?
18:55:52 <PKM> Not I
18:56:00 <Lydia_WMDE> no this seems very sensible
18:56:26 <vrandecic> PKM: OK, but would these stateements need to go through the user tool, or should we just upload such keys?
18:56:32 <Lydia_WMDE> Scott_WUaS: is the best place currently i think
18:56:54 <vrandecic> and this:
18:57:10 <Lydia_WMDE> ah right
18:57:12 <Lydia_WMDE> thx
18:57:18 <Scott_WUaS> Thanks!
18:57:43 <jzerebecki> vrandecic: that would depend on the error rate, right?
18:57:46 <matej_suchanek> Lydia_WMDE: may I have a question?
18:57:53 <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: sure
18:57:55 <vrandecic> If you ask me, I am happy with just letting multichill to upload the VIAFs that are still missing
18:58:06 <Scott_WUaS> Thanks, Denny
18:58:07 <matej_suchanek> how will the usage tracking thing look like?
18:58:08 <vrandecic> jzerebecki: true
18:58:26 <aude> #link
18:58:36 <PKM> vrandecic: can we spot check existing VIAFS to estimate error rate?
18:58:40 <vrandecic> jzerebecki: my assumption is an error rate of below 1%, but it would be good to check that
18:58:52 <vrandecic> PKM: yes, absolutely, good idea
18:59:13 <vrandecic> I will obviously release these keys, and then they can be checked before upload
18:59:39 <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: nothing user visible at this point. in the future there should be a way for editors to see where a certain data point is used but i don't know where/how yet. so far it is only a database table that tracks it so we know which pages to purge when the data changes
18:59:50 <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: does that make sense?
19:00:10 <matej_suchanek> yes, thank you for the explanation!
19:00:15 <Lydia_WMDE> cool
19:00:48 <Lydia_WMDE> vrandecic: more questions from your side?
19:01:08 <vrandecic> Lydia_WMDE: plenty, but time is up. I will follow up on the WikiProject page
19:01:13 <Lydia_WMDE> :)
19:01:14 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
19:01:23 <Lydia_WMDE> anyone else?
19:01:52 <Lydia_WMDE> otherwise i'll let you all have a nice weekend
19:01:55 <Scott_WUaS> I'm curious ...
19:01:57 <Lydia_WMDE> thanks for coming everyone!
19:02:12 <Scott_WUaS> Thank you ... will ask later!
19:02:12 <Lydia_WMDE> Scott_WUaS: about?
19:02:16 <Lydia_WMDE> ok
19:02:21 <PKM> Thanks all!
19:02:30 <Scott_WUaS> Thank you for holding these office hours!
19:02:31 <matej_suchanek> good bye all!
19:03:31 <aude> #endmeeting