IRC office hours/Office hours 2015-03-11

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Log for VisualEditor[edit]

[18:56:47] <Elitre> This week's VE triage meeting is about to start: As the topic states, please see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:VisualEditor/Portal for details. We're on a Google Hangout today.
[18:59:54] <Elitre> (If you're following the video chat, you have a choice between seeing James' screen and the room - just click on the relevant little boxes at the bottom.)
[19:00:08] <Elitre> Hi all, and welcome!
[19:00:46] <Elitre> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:VisualEditor/Portal has the link to join the audio/video part of our meeting.
[19:00:53] <Elitre> As a reminder, this is what's on the agenda: reviews of release criteria, of resolved blockers and of nominated blockers, then a short discussion about other business.
[19:01:12] <Elitre> (and welcome, rdaiccherlb)
[19:02:22] <Elitre> we're looking at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/sprint/burn/1015/ right now.
[19:02:24] <rdaiccherlb> :)
[19:03:00] <zeljkof> brown bag starting soon?
[19:03:38] <subbu|lunch> zeljkof, not in this channel
[19:03:43] <rdaiccherlb> This will be the VE Burndown Triage meeting
[19:04:14] <Elitre> If you want to follow along with what James Forrester will say and do, we're ready to discuss the release criteria listed at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/1015/ .
[19:04:49] <Elitre> questions about the criteria?
[19:06:07] <Elitre> Now it's time for resolved blockers: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/IHomburAWb7W/#R , there are 21 of them.
[19:06:26] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91158 was fixed.
[19:06:41] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88027 is being described now.
[19:06:56] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T90420 is something you might have experienced in firefox.
[19:07:12] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89066, fixed dependency.
[19:07:34] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91772 also fixed.
[19:07:56] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T70892 , a big one, also gone.
[19:08:06] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T54936 Parsoid fixed this.
[19:08:10] <Elitre> *team
[19:08:50] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71482 was also fixed by them.
[19:09:35] <Elitre> as well as others https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88318, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71950
[19:09:56] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88152 was related to the upcoming Citoid feature.
[19:10:27] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91726 was a regression about cursor behavior in tables.
[19:10:41] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91827, a change to the toolbar.
[19:11:18] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89668 and https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T60583 are related to the Beta label in the Edit tab, which meant significant performance loss.
[19:11:50] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T90815 was the last on the list.
[19:11:54] <Elitre> Questions?
[19:12:35] <Elitre> The nice graph James shows from time to time is https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/sprint/burn/1015/ .
[19:13:05] <Elitre> To follow the discussion about nominated blockers: check out the left column at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/sprint/board/1015/ . Only 5 nominated tasks this week (which I guess is good.)
[19:13:43] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91715
[19:14:03] <Elitre> Implement (part of) the English Wikipedia's edit notice system in MediaWiki core
[19:14:12] <Elitre> impressive hack which made VE slow ;/
[19:14:40] <Elitre> Timo will fix this for all of us.
[19:15:02] <Elitre> therefore, it's getting accepted.
[19:15:48] <Elitre> (as a polish task - which is slightly lower priority, but not connected to Poland.)
[19:16:12] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91913 , Category moved into table (and content normalised)
[19:16:42] <Elitre> James himself thinks this is a blocker.
[19:17:18] <Elitre> it's about edit corruption at fr.wp :/
[19:17:47] <Elitre> (it's different from https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T74048 , which happened in Safari). Accepted.
[19:17:58] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91949
[19:18:03] <Elitre> Visual Editor save dialog hangs, causing data loss
[19:18:23] <Elitre> filed by Luis Villa.
[19:18:47] <Elitre> the title says it all... therefore let's accept it.
[19:18:56] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91608
[19:19:09] <Elitre> Import WikiEditor's list into the Special Character inserter
[19:19:24] <Elitre> (BTW, please do test the new character inserter at mediawiki.org!)
[19:20:14] <Elitre> The imported list of character can then be customized by each community.
[19:20:30] <Elitre> (Also accepted as a polish task.)
[19:20:53] <Elitre> Last but not least, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T52568
[19:21:05] <Elitre> VisualEditor: Be able to name references manually in the reference dialog
[19:21:44] <Elitre> kinda old one, and makes sense that we now look at this issue, which also got recent feedback.
[19:22:52] <Elitre> James isn't entirely sure this makes sense given the "demographic" for the next release.
[19:25:24] <Elitre> Sherry is explaining a user case where this bug provoked trouble to a user.
[19:27:25] <Elitre> The team seems inclined to consider better automatic names for references, rather than the possibility of having users manually choose them.
[19:28:00] <Elitre> (We might need to consider how Citoid will change things when it's deployed as well.)
[19:28:55] <Elitre> So the team would accept not this task, but a related one as a blocker in the polish group.
[19:29:05] <Elitre> (And would like to learn more from this user.)
[19:30:41] <Elitre> T92432 is the task being accepted.
[19:31:09] <Elitre> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T92432 Come up with a better way to auto-label references .
[19:31:20] <Elitre> Moving on,
[19:31:34] <Elitre> how do you feel about these meetings?
[19:31:49] <Elitre> (Anybody unable to join?)
[19:32:19] <Elitre> Damon seems to like the new format.
[19:33:45] <Elitre> We're currently talking about getting feedback from people who will be interested in the upcoming VE release.
[19:34:46] <Elitre> and this is it for the week.
[19:35:08] <Elitre> Thanks to the people who were in the call (like ritus).
[19:35:36] <Elitre> Keep an eye on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:VisualEditor/Portal for details about the next week's meeting. Bye!