Learning and Evaluation/News/Learning Day for Wikimania Esino Lario/Storytelling and Social Media
Hybrid ABCDs of Storytelling
Session Abstract: The ABCD's of storytelling workshop provides participants with instruction and resources in crafting and delivering effective stories about Wikimedia projects. It is designed for Wikimedia Community and Program leaders who can use the power of storytelling to connect with volunteers, donors, partners and community to advance Wikimedia Awareness and Engagement. The workshop is created with a dynamic principle: offer a frame of thought and engage participants in exercises. Storytelling is a skill that people can learn: find a way to get participants to feel comfortable sharing a story.
Specific learning objectives: Increase the ability of Wikimedia staff and volunteers to share their work and impact in order to engage more strongly with their communities. Outcomes of effective storytelling can include positive engagement of readers, funders, partners and contributors.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Define why stories are important to advancing Wikimedia’s work.
- Identify different channels for effective storytelling.
- Craft a Wikimedia story using an ABCD model and template.
- Locate and use the storytelling toolkit.
- Session Format
- Type of session room: Workshop
- Amount of time required: 60 minutes
- Potential participant collaborators: (Recruit from lightning talks)