Mailing lists/Wikimedia Announce
Visit the subscription page to be added to the WikimediaAnnounce-l list.
WikimediaAnnounce-l is a moderated, email list distribution system for notable updates and reports from representatives of the world-wide Wikimedia movement. This includes the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia movement affiliates, and occasionally individuals or groups of volunteers. It is the primary, recommended, publicly archived dissemination mechanism for news and updates across Wikimedia.
Wikimedia Announce is not an open, public discussion list. The intention is to provide a simple, opt-in, subscription-based list where people can be rapidly notified of timely announcements and upcoming events, and where the traffic is lower than on discussion lists like Wikimedia-l. All postings to WikimediaAnnounce-l should also be posted to the Wikimedia-l mailing list.
For public discussion of the topics announced on the list, use Wikimedia-l or other relevant mailing lists. If you respond to an email distributed through the list, your email will be directed to the Wikimedia-l mailing list.
Examples of posted information include:
- Press releases from the Wikimedia Foundation or chapters
- Wikimedia Foundation reports
- Wikimedia movement affiliate reports
- Participation announcements for global Wikimedia meet-ups such as Wikimania
- Information about other events around the world of significance to the Wikimedia movement
- Major announcements about technology implementation on our projects
- Election or voting related news
- Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees communications
- Important new blog posts from the Wikimedia Blog or other Wikimedia-related blogs
- Publication of new issues of the Wikipedia Signpost, Wikizine, and other community newsletters
- New Wikimedia Foundation partnerships
- New members of the Wikimedia Foundation Leadership team
How to have your submission posted on Wikimedia Announce
- Be subscribed to the Wikimedia Announce mailing list from the email address you are sending your submission from
- Send submissions to WikimediaAnnounce-llists.wikimedia.org from address you are subscribed to
- Any submissions from email addresses not subscribed to the mailing list will be automatically rejected
- Submission is held for review by list moderators
- If urgent, please contact the list moderators (owners) at wikimediaannounce-l-ownerlists.wikimedia.org
Who moderates the list?
The Wikimedia Foundation Communications department currently moderates this list.
- All submissions must comply with the Wikimedia Foundation's Friendly space policy. Failure to follow this policy will result in the submission being rejected and may result in revocation of ability to post future submissions.
- For upcoming events, submit at least 7 days in advance of the event. The more notice the better.
- Please try to keep postings concise. Provide links to other pages for more information.
- The list is published in English, but links to translated information and relevant sources are encouraged.
- Plain text only.
- Use plain language writing. Keep things simple and focused.