- See also: Requests for category deletion
If you create a new page or edit an old one please add it to one or more matching categories to facilitate navigation. Please do not create new categories (especially not ones with only one entry) unless you are sure they really will be used. A good criterion may be if it fits well in the hierarchy below. Try to keep the number of categories on Meta-Wiki as low as possible - categories are useful only if people can remember which categories exist and what their purposes are. If you have to look into three almost equal categories to find the page you are looking for, something is wrong with the system. Categories without a description, with too few member pages or which are not listed here may be removed.
Be very cautious in changing a category tag in a template that is already in use: to keep the list of pages in the old and new category up-to-date you have to make a dummy edit in all pages that use the template. See A category tag in a template; caching problem.
Special:Categories is an automatically created list of categories.
Please go to Special:Uncategorizedpages and help categorizing.
Help page about categories describes how to use categories.
- Wikimedia Foundation: everything directly related to the Wikimedia Foundation (Board, governance, bylaws...)
- Wikimedia Deutschland: pages related to the German chapter
- Wikimédia France: pages related to Wikimédia France
- Wikimedia projects: should contain only the main pages of each Wikimedia project here on meta-wiki
- Wikibooks: everything related to Wikibooks
- Commons: everything related to Wikimedia Commons
- Wikipedia: everything related to Wikipedia
- Wikiquote: everything related to Wikiquote
- Wikisource: everything related to Wikisource
- Wiktionary: everything related to Wiktionary
- Wikinews: everything related to Wikinews
- Proposed projects: should contain the main pages of formally proposed new projects
- Community: lists of people, social stuff - everything which deals with the people involved in this project
- Issues: any issue that isn't about the users, but perhaps about content conventions, policies that affect many conflicts or communities, and so on
- Vision: blue-sky goals that probably can't be implemented near-term
- Humor: hopefully self-explaining ;-)
- Copyright: discussions of copyright, fair use and free licenses
Meta-Wiki is multilingual. To ease navigation please add the language code of the language the page is in as a category tag in capital letters.
This legacy system of categories is being deprecated (currently in migration). Now the categories are using "/language-code" suffixes like all other translated pages (using language codes in lowercase). And they have a category tree completely parallel to the root category (in English). For a list of translatations consider moving to "translation category".
The purpose of this migration is to have all pages and categories migrated to use the Translate tool. Category description pages will also be described with the Translate tool used as well to create the full tree of categories for all languages with a simplified maintenance.
The following legacy categories are overpopulated and have become impossible to navigate or maintain.
- AR: Arabic (العربية)
- BR: Breton (brezhoneg)
- CA: Catalan (català)
- DE: German (Deutsch)
- EO: Esperanto (Esperanto)
- EL: Greek (Ελληνικά)
- EN: English (English)
- ET: Estonian (eesti)
- ES: Spanish (español)
- FA: Persian (فارسی)
- FR: French (français)
- HU: Hungarian (magyar)
- ID: Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia)
- IT: Italian (italiano)
- JA: Japanese (日本語)
- KM: Khmer (ភាសាខ្មែរ)
- LA: Latin (Latina)
- MK: Macedonian (македонски)
- NL: Dutch (Nederlands)
- PL: Polish (polski)
- PT: Portuguese (português)
- RO: Romanian (română)
- RU: Russian (русский)
- ZH: Chinese (中文)
Category Users contains Meta users list by languages.
- Meta-Wiki organisation: pages dedicated to keep Meta-Wiki usable