OmegaWiki alternative structure
The basic dictionary division is the entry. The entries of UW are the forms of tokens in some language.
A form is the most difficult thing to define exactly. By form we understand what the general public refers to by word or phrase.
Examples of forms
- kick the bucket
- kicked the bucket
Also called a headword.
A representant of a group of morphologically related forms.
- form (noun)
- form (verb)
Each form has a representation:
- the sequence of phonemes (1)
- the sequence of graphemes (1)
- the sequence of phones (2)
- the sequence of graphs (2)
(1) these have a temporal and regional information associated with them. So for instance the color/colour pair is assumed to be a pair of grapheme sequences with the former being American, the latter British.
(2) These are the possible realizations of the ones marked by (1) for example [p] and [b] can be both variants of the same phoneme in languages not distinguishing voiced and unvoiced consonants (as is conjectured for the language of Linear A inscriptions)
(2) These also carry their environmental information, affecting their selection based on the sandhi rules.
Each form has a link to its lemma.
Each form has associated a set of categories with it.
- dixit (Latin for: (he/she/it) said)
- dixi (Latin for: (I) said)
- regis (Latin: of king)