Open Jordanian Heritage
In this project, we aim to increase the visibility of Jordanian cultural heritage on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and Wikidata. At present, information about Jordanian archeological sites and cultural heritage does not exist online, or is very difficult to access. This project is a collaboration between Wikimedians of the Levant and the Jordan Open Source Association.
We have started reaching out to local research institutes that house information about Jordanian cultural heritage, with the goal of partnering with them. These partnerships are flexible and highly dependent on the other party's terms, but in general we are seeking:
- donations of images and metadata;
- access to resources such as books and academic research;
- participation in Wikipedia edit-a-thons;
- to raise awareness of Wikimedia projects among the archaeological research community in Jordan.
- Early July 2019; Jordanian Heritage Edit-a-thon: to be hosted by ACOR and in partnership with several other organizations with similar interests. Participants will be briefly trained on how to edit Wikipedia, and will be asked to choose from a list of about 200 important topics about archaeology in Jordan.