….to ask when building partnerships and developing funds
For any type of partnership
- What is the alignment with our mission and values?
- How does the planned work contribute to our annual plan or strategy?
- Which assets does our organization bring to the partnership?
- Which assets does the partner bring?
- What is the added value created by this partnership?
- What is the joint vision and desired impact on people, systems or policy?
- Which person or department in our organization owns this partnership?
- What is the long-term strategic benefit and what can we learn?
For all concrete projects
- What is our role? What is the role of the partner
- What is the cost-benefit ratio?
- How are our communities involved?
- Will content be available under an open license?
- How does the project align with movement strategy and priority? What can and how does the movement learn from this?
For all projects with multiple partners
- At what developmental stage is this partnership?
- What are the roles? What is the structure for governance and leadership?
- How are backbone functions covered?
- Do we have the resources allocated for process and planning? Or does the partnership provide funding to support the extra time?
For grant funded activities
- How much can we expect in terms of funding, and over what period?
- Are these funds restricted, unrestricted, and
- How much is expected in terms of matching or in-kind resources from us?
- What percentage of overhead does this funding support?
- Are there implications for our tax-exempt/charitable status?
For major gifts, corporate donations and sponsorships
- Why is the donor interested in supporting us?
- Is there a political risk with this donor?
- What type of recognition and services are expected in return?