- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it.
The following discussion is closed.
Closed, as new policy is in place ("all current proposals will be made invalid").
I propose that the Sotho Wikipedia be closed.
According to the statistics, Sotho Wikipedia has 67 articles. Some of these are not written in Sotho language to begin with, others are nonsense or spam. In total, the articles can be split up as follows:
- 29 articles are not written in Sotho language: st:Senyesemane, st:Engelane, st:Hôlanê, st:Spain, st:Se-french, st:Lituania, st:Poland, st:Se-jeremane, st:Adolf Hitler, st:Vladimir Lenin, st:Bokominisi, st:Se-dutch, st:Filosofi, st:Karl Marx, st:Amerika, st:Se-china, st:Lesotho, st:Tau, st:Friedrich Engels, st:Euro, st:Tlou, st:Nkwe, st:Star Trek, st:Switwananisi, st:Horst Matthai, st:Mmutla, st:Vutlhokovetseri, st:Kolobê, st:Letôitšhi
- 6 articles are nothing more than lists or image-only pages: st:Provense ya Soria, st:Tafole ya periodiki, st:Bebele, st:Sayense, st:Kapa, st:Dipuo
- 11 articles are city spam: st:Pigazzano, st:Serón de Nágima, st:Ágreda, st:Almazán, st:Đồng Hới, st:Nowy Dwór Królewski, st:Curitiba, st:Uetersen, st:Konskowola, st:Kurow, st:Montehermoso
- 4 articles are nonsense or spam: st:Fisiksi, st:Puo le Tsebo ya dingwalo, st:Nostalgic, st:LEELE LENA LA SESOTHO LE RENG BORWA KE PALESA LE BOLELANG
This leaves us with these 23 legitimate content articles:
- st:Kereke ya Jesu wa Nnete, st:Afrika Borwa, st:Fora, st:Tjhaena, st:Uropa, st:Yuranese, st:Saekholoji, st:Geologi, st:Katse, st:Leboya Bophirimela (Afrika Borwa), st:Kwazulu-Natala, st:Kapa Bophirimela, st:Kapa Leboya, st:Kapa Botjhabela, st:Tshebeletso ya Setjhaba ya Puo, st:Freistata, st:Limpopo, st:Mpumalanga, st:Gauteng (Porofensi ya Afrika Borwa), st:Sesotho, st:Dijo, st:Konfuzius, st:Lord's Prayer
The only activity on the wiki is the creation of nonsense and its deletion. Therefore, I think this wiki is better off in the Incubator. -- Prince Kassad 18:02, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
- Honestly, the project seems to be dead. Can't see any real reason to keep it open. -FASTILY (TALK) 03:14, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- Close it immediately. Vibhijain 11:00, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- 'Support' --Jagwar 交談 homewiki 18:44, 11 June 2011 (UTC)
- This is yet another unwelcome proposal "because I can" and "because I feel this is against the reputation of Wikipedia" GerardM 17:34, 25 April 2010 (UTC)
- --Node ue 08:25, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Holder 09:03, 10 May 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose I disagree with closing projects at all, as a general rule, unless they are actively harming the WMF. Although spam is something of a problem, it's not gotten to the point where the project has become drowned by it, and it appears to be quickly reverted. I see no point in denying Sotho users the chance to contribute to our multilingual database of information, and the language is spoken by about five million people, according to Wikipedia. It's just unfortunate that not a lot of people in Lesotho and the surrounding area have internet access, but this will likely change as the internet continues to spread around the globe. Give it time. Tempodivalse [talk] 19:34, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
- This is harming the WMF directly. Most of the articles are written in a totally different language! A user who visits this Wikipedia and sees that the articles are not written in his language will see no incentive at all to contribute there. -- Prince Kassad 08:41, 3 June 2010 (UTC)
- That could indeed be an issue... Seb az86556 14:20, 3 June 2010 (UTC)
- It might be an issue, but - why not have all those non-Sotho pages deleted then, instead of the whole wiki? Seems like throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater ... Tempodivalse [talk] 13:28, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- True. (I see no votes in favor) -- does anyone here know Sotho? I wouldn't be able to tell Sotho from Twsana or Pedi, esp. when it's just three words... Seb az86556 14:42, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose--Sarvaturi 08:12, 27 June 2010 (UTC) The project is useful.
- Oppose--Zordsdavini 08:28, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose --OosWesThoesBes 08:41, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose23:51, 10 September 2010 (UTC)~
- Oppose --Baba Tabita 10:52, 8 February 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose - The project is useful with the potential to be expanded.Salamat msg 18:12, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose --N KOziTalk 04:51, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- Comment, has the local community been informed? Tempodivalse [talk] 19:34, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
- I note there still doesn't seem to be any notice on any of the local community's discussion pages. PCP says that "Proposals with no fair warnings to the projects will be ignored", but I'm not sure that's being followed any more? Tempodivalse [talk] 01:27, 31 October 2010 (UTC)
- I guess it means people can !vote and rant, but it will be ignored (?) Seb az86556 02:25, 31 October 2010 (UTC)
- If it means what I think it does, then the entire proposal is invalid because of no notice. Maybe someone with more knowledge of how PCP works could chime in? (I suppose one way to fix this is just to go and notify them now ... but it seems kinda unfair for the entire community to be in the dark for months that they could be shut down any minute.) Tempodivalse [talk] 03:00, 31 October 2010 (UTC)
- This "rule" was added by an IP without any prior discussion... safe to say it can be quietly disregarded. -- Prince Kassad 18:55, 31 October 2010 (UTC)
- In this case, maybe, but it does make sense -- if you insist on a "formal discussion" to have it "ratified", I'll start one right now. Seb az86556 19:33, 31 October 2010 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it.