The Federal Ministry of Education's policies in Nigeria, prioritize Information and Communications Technology as a 21st-century skill that provides access to information online but provide little stimulation for prioritizing digital literacy and Open Educational Resources to develop vital Media and Information Literacy skills for secondary school students in Nigeria. Most of these students do not understand how information is produced, access and evaluated online to understand biases and knowledge gaps. Research has shown that most of the Edtech partners focused only on developing alternative learning models for the new normal.
This project will help correct;
- Misinformation, disinformation and fake news on the internet.
- Low media and Information literacy rate among secondary school students in Kwara state.
- The misconception of Wikipedia among secondary school students.
- Create awareness among 45 secondary school students, from 3 different schools, on the effective usage of Wikipedia as a learning tool for retrieving, creating, and evaluating information before October 30th, 2022.
- The 45 students in Kwara, enrolled in this program, will be able to understand, access, retrieve, and evaluate information on Wikipedia and its sister projects by October, 2022.
- Enable certified Teachers of the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom program in Kwara to implement the lesson learnt to their classroom activities.
- Enable students to learn new things outside of their regular school curriculum.
- Establish Eduwiki Secondary School club in Kwara State.
Building Wikimedia awareness among Secondary School Students in Kwara State will consist of three different sessions:
- Educating: This is aimed at educating the student on the various uses of the Wikimedia project and changing their perception of Wikipedia and other sister projects.
- Offline Onboarding Session/ Creation of Awareness: This is a one-on-one onboarding session of the participants. The Avenue will also be used to sensitize the community on the projects of Wikimedia Foundation.
- Offline Training Session and edit-a-thon: This is hands-on keyboard training where the new editors will be given the avenue to practice what they have learnt. After the training, there will be a three weeks Edit-a-thon where winners will be awarded a certificate of excellence each.
List of Selected Schools
- Faith Academy, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
- Government Secondary School, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
- Government High School, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
List of Certified RWC Teachers involved in this Program
- Hassan Abdulrafiu
- Kamal-deen Olayinka
- Adekeye Tobi
- Fatola Micheal Kayode