Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.|
This page lists events (mostly research conferences) relevant to Wikimedia-related research.
|Event||Full name||Start date||End date||Location||Abstract Submission deadline||Early bird registration deadline||Notes|
|Wikimania 2019||2019-08-14||2019-08-18||w:Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden||TBD||TBD||Scholarship application ended 15 March 2019.|
|TheWebConf 2019||The Web Conference||2019-05-13||2019-05-17||San Francisco, California||2018-10-29||TBD||.|
|CSCW 2018||Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing||2018-11-03||2018-11-07||Jersey City, New York City||Past due||2018-09-10||Registration before EOD 2018-10-25 is also discounted.|
|ACM FAT* 2019||ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency||2019-01-29||2019-01-31||Atlanta, GA||2018-08-16|
If you're familiar with a conference, add a short description about it:
- CHI: Academic conference. "The ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) series of academic conferences is generally considered the most prestigious in the field of human–computer interaction and is one of the top ranked conferences in computer science."
- CSCW: Academic conference. "CSCW is the premier venue for research in the design and use of technologies that affect groups, organizations, communities, and networks. Bringing together top researchers and practitioners, CSCW explores the technical, social, material, and theoretical challenges of designing technology to support collaborative work and life activities."
- GROUP: "The ACM International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP) has been a premier venue for research on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Supported Collaborative Learning and Socio-Technical Studies. The conference integrates work in social science, computer science, engineering, design, values, and other diverse topics related to group work, broadly conceptualized."
- HICSS: academic conference covering a wide range of topics; mostly driven by information systems research.
- ICWSM: "The International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM) is a forum for researchers from multiple disciplines to come together to share knowledge, discuss ideas, exchange information, and learn about cutting-edge research in diverse fields with the common theme of online social media."
- KDD: Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining conference has been one of the fastest-growing conferences since 2012. Its primary focus is on data sciences and massive data-set machine learning. The conference has a very strong industry presence, possibly due to the nature of the work and publications in the conference.
- OpenSym: The academic counterpart to Wikimania: more academics, fewer practitioners. More niche, accessible and wiki-specific than larger conferences.
- Wikimania: The annual conference of the Wikimedia movement. Mostly attended by practitioners, but there are also a few researchers. A great opportunity to interact with the users we often study.
- The Web Conference (a.k.a. WWW, formerly International World Wide Web Conference): WWW is one of the long-standing conferences on the subject of the web. The primary audience of the conference are computer scientists though this is gradually changing as new fields such as digital health are introduced to the conference. The conference primarily acts as an interface between different areas of research on and related to the Web.
- AoIR: The Association of Internet Researchers hosts a yearly conference for interdisciplinary Internet researchers. Mostly academics, not wiki-specific, but many topics here may be of relevance to wiki researchers. Also has a guide on ethical online research.
|Event||Full name||Start date||End date||Location||Notes|
|Wikimania 2018||Wikimania||2018-07-18||2018-07-22||Cape Town, South Africa|
|ICWSM 2018||International Conference on Web and Social Media||2018-06-25||2018-06-28||Stanford, CA, USA|
|CfP: Academia and Wikipedia||Academia and Wikipedia: Critical Perspectives in Education and Research||2017-12-06||2018-02-28||Maynooth, Ireland||Conference date: 2018-06-18|
|OpenSym 2018||International Symposium on Open Collaboration||2018-08-22||2018-08-24||Paris, France||Doctoral consortium: 2018-08-21|
|WSDM2018||International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining||2018-02-05||2018-02-09||Los Angeles, USA|
|GROUP 2018||Sanibel Island, Florida|
|CHI 2018||Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems||2018-04-21||2018-04-26||Montreal, Canada|
|Role of Wikimedia in the era of Open Science||2018-04-16||2018-04-16||Barcelona||as part of pre-events for Wikimedia Hackathon 2018, Barcelona|
|COLLA 2016||Conference on Advanced Collaborative Networks, Systems and Applications||2016-11-13||2016-11-17||Barcelona, Spain|
|The Web Conference 2018||The Web Conference||2018-04-23||2018-04-27||Lyon, France|
|Wiki Workshop 2018||Wiki Workshop||2018-04-24||2018-04-24||Lyon, France||as part of The Web Conference 2018|
|CIKM 2017||Conference on Information and Knowledge Management||2017-11-06||2017-11-10||Singapore|
|DAB 2017||Workshop on Data and Algorithm Bias||2017-11-06||2017-11-06||Singapore||part of CIKM 2017|
|1st IWSC||International Wikipedia Scientific Conference||2017-11-09||2017-11-10||Niterói, Brazil|
|DBpedia CM||11th DBpedia Community Meeting||2017-10-12||2017-10-12||Cupertino, California||part of the SF Bay Area Knowledge Graphs meetup|
|KDD2017||Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining||2017-08-13||2017-08-17||Halifax, Canada|
|OpenSym 2017||13th International Symposium on Open Collaboration||2017-08-23||2017-08-25||Galway, Ireland|
|SEMANTiCS 2016||12th International Conference on Semantic Systems||2016-09-12||2016-09-15||Leipzig, Germany|
|CCBWIKI2016||Congresso Científico Brasileiro da Wikipédia / Brazilian Wikipedia Science Conference||2016-10-13||2016-10-14||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Group 2016||ACM International Conference on Supporting Group Work||2016-11-13||2016-11-16||Sanibel, FL, USA|
|HICSS-50||Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences||2017-01-04||2017-01-07||Waikoloa Village, HI, USA|
|WSDM 2017||ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining||2017-02-06||2017-02-10||Cambridge, UK|
|CSCW 2017||ACM conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing||2017-02-25||2017-03-01||Portland, OR, USA|
|||Interdisziplinäres Symposium Rechtsquelle Wikipedia? Praxis – Fiktion – Standards||2017-03-03||2017-03-04||Hagen, Germany|
|WWW2017||International World Wide Web Conference||2017-04-03||2017-04-07||Perth, Australia|
|CHI 2017||Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems||2017-05-06||2017-05-11||Denver, CO, USA|
|ICWSM-17||International Conference on Web and Social Media||2017-5-15||2017-5-18||Montréal, Canada|
|Wikimania 2017||The Wikimedia Conference||2017-08-11||2017-08-13||Montréal, Canada|
|Wikisci15||Wikipedia Science Conference||2015-09-02||2015-09-03||London, UK|
|WikiConference USA 2015||—||2015-10-09||2015-10-11||Washington, D.C., USA|
|WSDM 2016||ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining||2016-02-22||2016-02-25||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|CSCW 2016||ACM conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing||2016-02-27||2016-03-02||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|WWW2016||International World Wide Web Conference||2016-04-11||2016-04-15||Montréal, Canada||Program|
|CHI 2016||Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems||2016-05-07||2016-05-12||San Jose, CA, USA|
|ICWSM-16||International Conference on Web and Social Media||2016-05-17||2016-05-20||Cologne, Germany|
|WebSci 2016||Web Science||2016-05-22||2016-05-25||Hanover, Germany|
|Wikimania 2016||The Wikimedia Conference||2016-06-22||2016-06-28||Esino Lario, Italy|
|CSST 2016||Consortium for the Science of Sociotechnical Systems Summer Institute||2016-06-27||2016-07-01||Stevenson, WA, USA|
|SM&S 2016||Social Media & Society Conference||2016-07-11||2016-07-13||London, UK|
|KDD2016||SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining||2016-08-13||2016-08-17||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|OpenSym 2016||International Symposium on Open Collaboration||2016-08-17||2016-08-19||Berlin, Germany|
Events not yet added to the table
Critical Point of View (CPoV)
- Not to be confused with CPOV
- Wikipedia Research Initiative of the Institute of Network Cultures (Netherlands) and the Centre for Internet and Society (India)
- Conference in Amsterdam, March 26-27, 2010
- Conference in Bangalore, January 12-13, 2010
- Wikimania 2007 August, 2007
- Proceedings of Wikimania 2006 August, 2006
- Proceedings of Wikimania 2005 August, 2005
Workshops on Mathematical Wikis (MathWikis)
- 1st Workshops on Mathematical Wikis (MathWikis); August, 2011
- 5th Workshop: Linking Data and People; May, 2010
- 4th Workshop: The Semantic Wiki Wiki Web; June, 2009
- 3rd Workshop: The Wiki Way of Semantics; June, 2008
Workshops on Semantic Publishing
- 1st Workshop (SePublica), May 2011
- August 2012 (open access to complete proceedings)
- October 2011 (open access to complete proceedings)
- July 2010 (open access to complete proceedings)
- October 2009 (open access to complete proceedings)
- September 2008
- October, 2007
- August, 2006
- October, 2005
- Conferences on Intelligent Computer Mathematics, July 2013. Mathematical wikis have always been a topic of interest here, particularly in the DML (Digital Mathematical Libraries), MKM (Mathematical Knowledge Management), and Systems & Projects tracks.
- ACM Hypertext 2007 September, 2007
- The monthly Wikimedia Research Showcase features research done at the Wikimedia Foundation, and occasionally guest presenters
- Volunteer Supporters Network/Conferences
- List of events and List of conferences on WikiPapers
- WikiCFP: A wiki tracking call for papers in science and technology fields
List of conferences by discipline, on Wikipedia: