Research:Information Seeking and Use
- Andrea Forte
- Thomas Park
Longitudinal survey and interviews of adults about their information seeking and search practices, including both Wikipedia editors and other groups.
Survey and follow-up interview.
Publishing in standard cs/information venues.
Wikimedia Policies, Ethics, and Human Subjects Protection
This project was approved as exempt from human subject review by the Drexel University IRB in January 2012, meaning it poses minimal risk and little or no disruption to the lives of participants.
Benefits for the Wikimedia community
Better understanding of information behaviors among both Wikipedians and the general public.
Should be done within 1 month.
Other Wikipedia-related work by this team includes:
- Forte, Andrea, Niki Kittur, Vanessa Larco, Haiyi Zhu, Amy Bruckman, Robert Kraut. (2012). Coordination and Beyond: Social Functions of Groups in Open Content Production. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), 2012, Seattle, WA.
- Forte, Andrea, Vanessa Larco and Amy Bruckman. (2009) Decentralization in Wikipedia Governance. Journal of Management Information Systems. 26(1) pp 49-72.
- Forte, Andrea and Amy Bruckman. (2008). Scaling consensus: increasing decentralization in Wikipedia governance. Proceedings of Hawaiian International Conference of Systems Sciences (HICSS).
- Forte, Andrea and Amy Bruckman. (2008). Information Literacy in the Age of Wikipedia. In Symposium on Learning and Research in the Web 2 Era: Opportunities for Research (Organized by James Slotta) Proceedings of International Conference on the Learning Sciences.
- Forte, Andrea and Amy Bruckman. (2006) From Wikipedia to the classroom: exploring online publication and learning. Proceedings of the International Conference of the Learning Sciences, Vol 1. Bloomington, IN, pp. 182-188.
- Bryant, Susan, Andrea Forte and Amy Bruckman. (2005). Becoming Wikipedian: transformation of participation in a collaborative online encyclopedia. Proceedings of GROUP International Conference on Supporting Group Work, Sanibel Island, FL, pp. 1-10.
- Forte, Andrea and Amy Bruckman. (2005). Why do people write for Wikipedia? Incentives to contribute to open-content publishing. Position Paper. GROUP 05 workshop: Sustaining community: The role and design of incentive mechanisms in online systems. Sanibel Island, FL.
aforteATdrexelDOTedu or EN:Andicat