Research project Letters from Tamansiswa Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum library
In 2017 400 documents from the library at the Taman Siswa Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum were scanned and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by WMID. In 2017 and 2018 under the wings of WMNL a group of volunteers transcribed and translated the texts. This corpus of documents gives a unique insight in the life of Ki Hadjar Dewantara and is deserving of a good historical analysis.
The underlying note is that within Academic life there is still much prejudice towards using Wikimedia.. With this project we want to corroborate the claim that the Open source community, and especially Wikimedia, is valuable to Academic life and that it is possible to publish an academic paper based on such sources.
The core values of this research project are to embrace open source and open science values by making the research public ánd publish an academically sound paper according to academic standards. Therefore the final products of this research projects will be:
- Academic paper in English in a publicly accessible academic journal
- Data will be accessible on Wikidata
- online publication for the general public in Dutch, English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Publications will be accessible under CC-By-SA 4.0-licence and the raw data under CC-0
The research will primarily revolve around the following questions: What is the context of the correspondence in the archive of Taman Siswa Dewantara Kirti Griya and how does this connect Dewantara to the larger geopolitical field before, during and after the Independence of Indonesia?
- Who corresponded with Dewantara on which topics?
- What was their function and political affinity?
- Does the view from the archive fit the general view historians have on Dewantara?
If you are proficient in either Dutch, English, Javanese and/or Bahasa Indonesia and willing to sift through the documents we'd love to have you on board for the Meta-data Team. If needed we'll teach you how to add data to Wikidata. We also have some tasks waiting for someone who is proficient in Wikidata/Wikibase. ;)
We are looking for volunteers for the following tasks:
- Adding metadata to Wikidata items
- Creating a Wikibase
- Creating bots to keep Wikidata and Wikibase in sync
- Creating comppleteness list á la Wikiwetenschappers
- Historian with affinity Dutch-Indonesian history 19th and 20th century.
If you like to do one or more tasks or if you wish to volunteer at other aspects of this project: please Wikimail the project leader at her personal Wikipage
The following Wikimedia Affiliates endorse this project:
This project will start in 2019 and will continue in 2020.
in Q3 and Q4 of 2019 the data needs to be refined and the first analysis will be made
in Q1, Q2 and Q3 of 2020 the analysis will be deepend and the first publication is expected in Q4 of 2020