Sidebar behavior poll
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The sidebar is currently enabled by default. This poll addresses the default behavior.
Arguments for default on
- The sidebar presents links in a logical and convenient manner. Bsoft 08:37, 25 Mar 2004 (UTC)
- It's useful and contains links that are very hard to find elsewhere, including Special:specialpages and Donations.
- Many people never change their preferences so would never find this if it were not default.
Arguments for default off
- The sidebar messes up text-based browsers and microbrowsers (e.g PDA or mobile phone browsers). Pages render much better with the sidebar off.
- Much of the sidebar's functionality is redundant. Many of the links in the sidebar are available in the top bar. The top bar could easily hold more links without being expanded.
- The sidebar wastes space all the way down the page. Space that could be used for content is blank. Floating the sidebar partially solves (space is still used by the sidebar, but it doesn't fill blank space) the issue but clutters the page.
Bsoft 08:37, 25 Mar 2004 (UTC)
Sidebar should default on, as it currently is
- Bsoft 08:37, 25 Mar 2004 (UTC)
This poll doesn't present options appropriately
- Brion VIBBER 11:16, 25 Mar 2004 (UTC) A layout optimized for PDA and mobile phone browsers can be made active for PDA and mobile phone browsers without changing the look for regular computer users. The redundancy issue is being addressed in new layout designs such as Gwicke's DaVinci skin.
- —Eloquence 14:21, 25 Mar 2004 (UTC)