The "page access control" feature, are we going to have this on 1.5 ??. This is very important for intranet company Wiki. 18.104.22.168 01:50, 6 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- Nope. Note that company intranets are not MediaWiki's target usage; where strong read/write access controls are required I would recommend using software designed for this, and not MediaWiki. --brion 02:44, 6 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- Well, i'm searching for an appropriate solution for ACLs in mediawiki, too. As I could see from the Statements on the mailing-list, there is large restraint in implementing such features which are, (understandably for me) not of interest for wikipedia an sister-projects.
- But, more and more companies, NPOs using mediawiki, and isn't this pleasing for the wiki-idea and philosophy ? Many of these organizations want to use ACLs to protect some operational documentation, which are surely not of common interrest; e.g. their firewall-configuration. Or they just want to differentiate work on specific content (for the first, maybe; later they find out that ACLs are no longer neccessary, but they woldn't have started the project without these features).
- Time is money and many of the developers invest their time without getting payed. (Many thanks at all !!)
- For myself I'm a proponent of the open wiki philosophy and culture, but I have also to do my job. My job is working on a documentation system that can be used to transport Information for internal and external themes with the same interface. I have decided for mediawiki because of it's open strategy. Most subprojects have external and internal contexts and getting projectmanagers on board the "wiki-boat" cold be easy, when the offered solution satisfies the (allegedly) need of ACLs.
- The knowlede condensed in intranet-wiki-solutions may sometimes feed into the world-knowledge base, and, maybe, this is wikipedia. Maybe, the technology for combining all of them are interwiki-features (in a future version).
- When you block-out these wikis by e.g. not implementing ACLs, you will exclude them from the world-knowledge base from the very beginning. Is it worth that ? Or aren't we dreaming a wordwide wiki dream ? Let's dream it to a successful end !
- Ok, let me come back to the ground: ACLs shold be implemented soon, because a lot of possible wiki-Projects will disapear to some commercial, proprietary software solutions. Since mediawiki 1.5 there is a place in the data structure for it. There should be a Tab on the article to manage a matrix of users/groups to the appropriate functions read/edit/move/... storing that stuff to the article-related place in the database. This feature should be switchable by a variable in LocalSettings and the functionality should be developed in an extension, so wikipedia and sisters can simply switch it off.
GerhardSchwarz 12:43, 23 June 2006 (UTC)
page acl implemented
GroupWikiBase implements granular per-page acl into mediawiki. http://groupwiki.sourceforge.net