Talk:Foundation wiki feedback/Archive 1
The whole section in the FAQ explaining why the paid placement of logos for companies providing matching donations is "not advertising" (about joe's widgets and so on) is wholly factually inaccurate, and I CAN'T EDIT IT!!!! AAAARGHHGHGAAA!
Allowing advertising on wikipedia is bad enough, but this fiction about it not being advertising is outrageous. (These claims that selling brand placement is somehow not selling advertising are preposterous. Why do companies sponsor anything? To advertise their brand, of course! The brand is the product, obviously.) - saddened anonymous editor still looking for a good free encyclopedia, 00:23, 30 December 2006 (UTC)
On the accounts details and in the monthly spending summary, travel is listed at about $75,000 and $4,000 respectively. What kind of travel is this on? Who is travelling to where and for what reason? Considering the total for salaries is only about double this, some people must be doing a lot of travelling! It doesn't bother me. I haven't made any contributions yet, but when I do, I will want to know exactly where it is going. Finestar Entertainment in florida made a large donation and their donation didnt even show up anywhere. 22.214.171.124 21:08, 8 January 2007 (UTC)
Idea #1: Wikimaps
The name says it all.There should be a site just for maps. Not only would this make it easier if a user only wanted to find maps, it would also help any other wikiproject article referring to a map. A lot of wikipedia pages don't have maps when they should, and a lot of pages have very different styles of maps. If there was a wikimaps, more articles would have the maps, and it might raise the consistency and quality of them. Also, it would lower the chances of a copyright protected map from being uploaded by mistake. - i went to Finestar Entertainment page by mistake and it was an adult site. Type in the right address for the maps.
- - Great Idea. It would be a great possibility to make historical maps, political maps, geographical maps, interactive maps etc. Not every map needs a whole article and sometimes it's boring searching the right article to find a map. Wikimaps would be a great solution of this problem. Tom --126.96.36.199 11:00, 8 May 2007 (UTC)
Idea #2: Universal wikiaccount
I have a wikipedia account and I think I'm a pretty good editor there. I definitely support the entire wikiproject vision. It seems a bit silly that i had to sign up for a whole new account for wiktionary. Then I get here and wanted to leave some feedback and I have to create an account. I think having an account for one wikiproject should mean having an account for all of them. One username, one password, one time registration. If nothing else, there should be some kind of account option where I can select which projects I want to have access to at any point. I could just go with wikipedia first, but as I get more involved, I can go and check off other projects I'm interested in editing. -- wikipedia user: crazytonyi 
- You weren't the only one to have those ideas. See Wikimaps and Single login. Angela 17:39, 28 February 2007 (UTC)
The link which follows The Wikimedia Foundation will hire Cary Bass (Bastique) beginning on April 1 to work full-time as a Volunteer Coordinator with the job description at . is locked and cannot be read without an account.Hillgentleman | 書 |2007年03月30日( Fri ), 14:18:46 14:18, 30 March 2007 (UTC)
- I assume that Volunteer Coordinator is a similar, if not identical, copy of the page. Thanks! Flcelloguy (A note?) 16:56, 30 March 2007 (UTC)
Op de foundation page staat gschreven:
Deze werkzaamheden worden ondersteund door de vrijgevigheid van mensen zoals u, die er in geloven dat kennis macht is en dat kennis vrij moet zijn.
Het gaat mij om het laatste. Kennis is macht.
Nog krachtiger zou zijn.. Kennis hebben is macht, kennis delen is kracht!!
Met vriendelijke groet,
Engelien Geurs Hilversum
How come contributors are not a benefactor? We basicly wrote the encyclopedia!--Arceus fan 21:06, 18 October 2007 (UTC)
- Contributors are volunteers, and volunteers are very rarely paid (hence why they are volunteers). The Wikimedia Foundation is the one that is actually spending the massive amount of money to host the various projects. EVula // talk // 21:17, 18 October 2007 (UTC)
Is this supposed to be funny? This pink foundraising banner in wikipedia tells me this "You iz da most best guy, all Hungarian people love you! :)" Are you trying to imply that Hungarians can not speak English properly? Some Hungarians can not speak English very well, still wikipedia should not stress stereotypes and display certain groups of people as stupid. October 23, 2007 Rob
- I am sorry it was interpretted that way. The fundraising banners contain quotes from people who have made donations in the past, it is a new fundraising method we are trying out. We are in no way stressing a stereotype, just sharing a nice comment someone else has expressed towards us (you can hit "refresh" to see even more). Cbrown1023 talk 19:36, 23 October 2007 (UTC)
Can't I have my account on wikimediafoundation? If yes-why? If no-how to create account? --Woytecr 19:42, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
- As stated on the page, please visit Request for an account on the Foundation wiki to request an account. Cbrown1023 talk 19:40, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
I am an Indian. I want to donate but I do not have a credit card. Sending cheque is difficult. Please, consider opening a Foundation's bank account with an Indian bank in India with a good network of online computerised branches. State Bank of India may well serve the purpose. If this could be done, please, mention account number alongwith the appeal.The idea may also work well in other developing countries. Wikipedia is connected well with the internet community.But for mobilising resources, a simpler way for submission and receiving resources is needed.
I do not understand the language in which my edit on making donations has been responded.Will someone, please translate it in English for me
subzb14:36, 22 January 2010 (UTC)Subzbharti
- That's Portuguese, but it wasn't a reply to your message. I've removed it as an off-topic statement. - jredmond 16:47, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
When we go to wiktionary, why doesn't Deutsch show up right away along with the other most common languages?
- Are you referring to the Wiktionary portal? If so, German doesn't show up along the logo because it doesn't have enough entries. We order the languages based on how large and complete the dictionaries are. If you'd like to see German further up there, you should help expand it with your contributions. :-) Cbrown1023 talk 21:04, 11 January 2010 (UTC)