Ask your questions about the contest here!
I went bold and did this edit to the article list. Feel free to revert it if you wish, but please be careful not to revert my previous edit (a disambiguation page was listed instead of the article). --Ricordisamoa 18:39, 28 April 2014 (UTC)
I am learning swedish but I don't understand the word Västerbottens (for the museum Västerbottens)
Väster = western botten = ground/floor/field/..
If we want to translate in english the Västerbottens it can be translated as "West field"? Ggia (talk) 23:20, 1 May 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Ggia! That's nice to hear! :-) en:Västerbotten is a place name for the region and the English exonym is West Bothnia. Kind regards, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 07:55, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
Expanded articles in English
To make it possible for more people to participate I have been translating text from Swedish Wikipedia to the English language version the last few days. So if you translated one of the following articles the first days of the contest, have a look again and see if there is something new that you could add to your language: en:Gamla bron, en:NorrlandsOperan, en:Kyrkbron, Umeå (all expanded the 4 May) en:Kulturväven (2 May) and en:Scharinska villan (1 May). Jopparn (talk) 20:45, 5 May 2014 (UTC)
two sentences articles
there is a lot of articles which has only two or three sentences, but get 5 points. according to me it is not fair and getting quality low User:Delamorena (Turkish userpage and talkpage)
....and there is also articles which gets +5 points just from infoboxes (which are copied directly from en-wiki). --Stryn (talk) 05:00, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- Your opinions are noted and we might need to think about how to improve the scoring system for coming challenges, but we will not change it this far into this competition. That would not be fair to those who have already contributed. --Jan Ainali (WMSE) (talk) 06:56, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- To all participants I would however like to stress the value of adding at least a few paragraphs in each article. By doing so non-Swedish speaking persons in the city will get the most out of the project! Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 10:46, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
After comparing these articles,
- hi:गामला बांखूसैट (8 points) and tr:Gamla bankhuset (9 points)
- pa:ਗਾਮਲਾ ਬਰੋਨ(8 points) and tr:Gamla Köprüsü (9 points)
and after seeing these articles :
- hi:नौरा हूएनैत 5 points
- pa:ਊਮਿਓ ਡਿਜ਼ਾਇਨ ਸੰਸਥਾ 6 points
i understood that, being in this challange is pointless and pointing system is complately unfair. because i am trying to translate english article to turkish for an hour and trying to add more then english article , but by the way someones making 5 article in one hour by adding a infobox or 2 uninteresting sentences. and getting 5 times more points.
I didnt try to make an article with a few sentences never because i think wikipedia should carry a quality so i decided to leave the challenge.
But i will continiue to make blue tr:Şablon:Umepedia because i liked Umea city and maybe helps turkish tourists or immigrants, and i hope one day i visit Umea and make tea-smoke on Gamla Bridge :)
best regards User:Delamorena (Turkish userpage and talkpage)
- Hi Delamorena, your contributions are really great and I am very sorry to hear that this have reduced the fun for you! I have written to the user in question as I hope that the idea is to prolong the articles. Regards, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 16:24, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
I've been keeping an eye on the challenge for a while now, and I think it's fab! It's so good I've copied the idea on our Welsh language / Wales Coast Path project. Thanks you very much - diolch yn fawr iawn! Llywelyn2000 (talk) 05:47, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks! :-) John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 10:24, 28 May 2014 (UTC)
Writing Contest report available on Meta
- The draft for the Writing Contest Report is now available for peer review on Meta. If you participated in a contest or helped organize one, we would love to hear what you think about the report! Please feel free to comment on the design of the report, ease of navigation, ease of reading, or usefulness. We are hoping to have the summary page translated to several languages soon, and we are aiming to publish more widely on July 7!
- If you would like to hear updates about evaluating wikimedia programs, follow the learning and evaluation team through: facebook, google plus, twitter account, our mailing list, or email us anytime at evalwikimediaorg.
- --EGalvez (WMF) (talk) 21:28, 1 July 2015 (UTC)