Talk:Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2017-2018/Mid-year review
Communications Program 2: Lead the narrative
- Due to significant changes in the political climate, there have been more opportunities to position our values publicly though they also have less effect on actual policy
@Heather (WMF): Are those opportunities being taken in proportion to their greater number? Is there somewhere they, or Foundation actions to take them, or both, are quantified? If we are not taking the greater number of opportunities, then we are part of the problem.
- @James Salsman: We regret many opportunities we are unable to take as we're a fairly small team working on several large issues. There are so many events around the world and important topics to Wikimedia it's actually frustrating at times, and as you know, having impact requires focus. And we tend to talk more about our efforts within overall strategies than as singular tactics.
- If you're asking about design in order to talk about the editing interface, the Communications department is unable to assist with any requests of that nature. Thank you, Heather Walls (WMF) (talk) 00:07, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
- @Heather (WMF): Can the community help? Not with releases and other final draft forms of messaging which should be your responsibility, but how about with (1) finding media conversations and policy discussions where we could have a positive influence, (2) listing them somewhere here on meta, (3) brainstorming approaches for messaging to respond in ways we can lead in those conversations, and (4) drafting such responses? How much more could you do if community volunteers were helping in any or all of those four ways?
- As for the editing interface, I'm asking for the name of the person who can approve the A/B test of the pencil vs. "" on mobile in the graphic design department who took over for you, please? James Salsman (talk) 14:14, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
- @James Salsman:@GVarnum-WMF: We do an internal media report every day, so I wouldn't want to ask volunteers to duplicate that effort. As for the A/B test, that's not our method of product development as far as I understand it. None of my folks could approve anything like that and I'm not sure that there's anyone who can, which doesn't even begin to address whether they should. Heather Walls (WMF) (talk) 19:04, 14 March 2018 (UTC)
Finance Non-Program 3: Internal Financial Management Process
@JVillagomez (WMF): How does the Foundation decide how to invest non-endowment long term funds? Now that we have a managed endowment for backup, can we keep the bulk of non-endowment savings in funds earning several percent annually as opposed to the small fraction of a percent we have been earning over the past decade? James Salsman (talk) 14:26, 13 March 2018 (UTC)