Telugu Wikipedia Mahilavaranam/Events/March 2018/Visakhapatnam
This event is part of Telugu Wikipedia Mahilavaranam which aims to bridge Participation Gender gap in Telugu Wikipedia. The project is trying to bridge this gap in various ways by Training sessions to potential women editors, Individual training & follow-up, Conducting Wiki-Kitty parties, Improving awareness about the cause by stories in Media, Creating resources to help people who wanted to hold a training session, etc.,
- Venue and Date
Buddhavarapu Gardens, Maharanipet, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Saturday, March 10, 2018
- Participant and Literature enthusiast Pandranki Lalitha helped organizing this event by providing venue in their home, wifi, and also helped spreading the word in literary circle.
- Event started by 10:30. Participants Inuganti Andhallu, Lalitha Pandranki, Gayathri Vadavalli, Suvarna Sundari, Mithuna and others attended the event. Participants are Women writers who are already writing in Telugu at online platforms. These participants were selected and been invited by Lalitha Pandranki.
- Some of the participants created Wikipedia accounts earlier on that week and remaining created during the event.
- Event started with explination and discussion about Basics of Wikipedia editing (Core content policies and 5 Pillers of Wikipedia).
- Participants started editing Wikipedia and created their respective user pages. Started exploring and editing content that suits to their interests.
- They learnt about How to customize Wikipedia experience using Preferences. Enabled and learnt using tools like Hotcat, Wikipedia Content Translation.
- Some of the participants learnt how to categorize articels using Hotcat and some of the participants started translating English Wikipedia articles using Content Translation.
- Participant who already clicked hundreds of useful & quality pictures learnt how to upload and use those pictures in Wikipedia Pages.
- Telephonic conversation with Experienced Woman Wikipedian User:T.sujatha and she assured her complete support for participants in Learning Wikipedia Editing.
- Participants brought different kind of cuisines for lunch and celebrated the event like a Picknick or a kitty party. Post-lunch they shared thier interests in literature and writing.
- Discussed about follow-up on digital front and created a facebook chatgroup where experienced editors will be there to guide newbies of this event. Also discussed for further similar events every now and then.
- New users who showed interest were added in Wiki-adoption Program that is being concieved in Telugu Wikipedia.
- Dashboard link: Tewiki Mahilavaranam