Step 1 Request a source from another editor.
- You can ask for articles, journals, books, or any other reliable source.
- When requesting a source, be as specific as possible about what you are looking for.
- If you know the name of the source, provide its full title, author, publication date, and other citation information such as the publisher, ISBN/ISSN/DOI/PMID number.
- If you know the location of the source, please provide a web address (url) to access it.
- If it is a book, please link to it on Google Books or Amazon or WorldCat, etc.
Request a source
Step 1 Share access to sources you have.
- Browse requests for sources, and feel free to offer advice, ask questions, or contact the other editor directly to help them get access.
- You might:
- show them how to get access
- look something up for them in the source
- send them a copy of a few pages
- upload a copy to a file-sharing service
- email them a link to the full document
- send them a book through the mail
Step 2 Post an update when the request has been filled.
- Requests which have been filled, or are not responded to within 4 weeks, may be moved to the archives.
- Respect copyrights and terms of services of any online services you use.
- Share content in a limited manner that is targeted at as few individuals as possible to achieve a specific improvement on Wikipedia. All content is shared under a presumed non-commercial, educational, fair use purpose in order to conduct research about topics on Wikipedia and/or to improve Wikipedia content.
- Share copies privately rather than with a publicly accessible link whenever possible. Copyrighted articles from print publications or copies obtained through online databases should not be uploaded for unrestricted distribution via open websites. Preferably, do not share login access codes for entire websites; rather, share only an individual copy of a resource.
- Remember that you take on the individual risk when sharing content, and act in a way that is comfortable and safe for you. Individual editors are solely responsible for sharing copyrighted content and assume all legal risks.
- Before sharing copies of Wikipedia Library resources, you should review the exchange policy.