Welcome to the second issue of the Timeless newsletter, complete with gratuitous mentions of totally different skins.
- Themes are coming to Timeless! Your infobox and navbox templates in particular are probably going to look absolutely horrible in the new built-in night mode.
- Some progress has been made on the whole triaging bugs front, but I seem to be mostly putting that off in favour of fixing random ones instead, and then finding they're back again two days later.
- An audit and general updates of a totally different skin, BlueSky, because of its implementation of a new form of Theme functionality, a model which I would like to reuse for Timeless. But apparently I need to put this functionality back first because I kind of accidentally removed it awhile back. Whoops.
- I am beginning to get a clearer picture of just how bad our skin/extension intercompatibility problems are, which is somehow even worse than I thought. More complaints have been documented on my 'everything is horrible' skinning scratchpad on mw.org, along with some random rambling, if you really want to know. Most of it involves core being horrible and everyone not working on skins assuming all skins are Vector.
General plan for the next month:
- Continue triage of the rest of the workboard and consolidate with feedback on talkpages and other bug report sources
- More of the neverending bug fixes
- Putting themes back in BlueSky (T148064), immediately followed by copying that into Timeless! (T131991)
- A total redesign of the (sticky) header, because it's bad and it makes me sad (T173215 or something, because: task T181484, task T173811, task T173525, task T161282, task T183700, task T131577, task T131998, task T165921, task T132000)
- Some proposals aimed at Commons and Wikisource in particular
- Formatting my skinning gripes page into something actually readable/actionable
- Absolutely everything else I said I'd do, probably
Thank you all for reading this blog post by your friendly neighbourhood
mad scientist skins developer. Stay tuned for next time, where no mention whatsoever will be made of MonoBook!