What is your goal?
Before running an event, it is important to clarify why you want to run the event. Wikimedia communities frequently use contributing events to achieve a number of different goals.
A 2015 study of Editathons, found that most organizers ran this type of event to meet end goals such as:
- Build and engage a community
- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects
- Increase the diversity of information covered on Wikimedia Projects
- Help make contribution to the Wikimedia community easier
- Increase diversity of participants in Wikimedia projects.