Creating your dashboard event
Once your on-wiki page has been created, it is important to create an event on the Programs and Events Dashboard: see the documentation on Meta Wiki. The Programs and Events dashboard provides several important functions:
- First, it allows for automatic collection of global contribution metrics from participants in the event.
- Second, it allows for rapid evaluation of the impact of volunteers on Wikipedia articles through both machine-learning based quality tools and pageviews for content created.
- Lastly, it allows for your event’s impact to be rolled up into other metrics collection by affiliates, community members, and the Wikimedia Foundation.
To register participants in your dashboard event, you can:
- ask participants to sign up there in advance of the event.
- add participants manually during the event and after it has ended.
Note: If you collect usernames in a private listing either offline or on a private webpage, it is important to get consent from participants and to protect individual privacy if you include the user name on a public listing.