On this inquiry
Welcome guys, I'm now preparing a presentation about Wikimedia volunteer translators. You can help me to answer these inquiries, taking half an hour or so. It is a bit urgent: you are very welcome to make it up until July 6 (Sorry, I know it is a tough schedule: recently I've been quite hectic ...).
Please copy and paste these inquiries on your editor, fill them out below each questions. Then mail your sheet to aphaia at gmail dot com. You can also send it through Special:Emailuser/Aphaia.
Maria Fanucchi (User:Arria Belli) will share the whole of your inquiries as my co-panelist.
Mailing me your answering sheet, you are considered to agree to release your answers under dual licensing, GFDL and CC-BY-3.0. Your name may not be mentioned explicitly in the presentation, which will be orally given to the audience. The presentation and its slides will be released on Wikimania Wiki under GFDL and CC-BY-3.0.
If you have questions, feel free to ask me :)
Thank you for your participation,
--Aphaia 01:24, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
- How long have you been on the Wikimedia project?
- How long have you been carrying out translations on the Wikipedia project?
- What is/are your mother tongue(s)?
- Which languages do you translate from?
- What kind of tempo do you work at? (Frequency of translation, length of time spent translating...)
- Have you translated at your "real-life" job (including at school)? Are you a professional translator?
- Do you translate more for one wikiproject in particular?
- Have you translated the text in images (diagrams, graphs...) while translating articles using said images?
- Have you translated materials for Wikimedia official websites or its press releases? If or not, what have motivated you?
- Have you translated/localized MediaWiki system files on your favorite project or Beta Wiki? If or not, what have motivated you?
- Which other part of the Wikimedia project do you participate? (Editing, media uploading, "gardening", vandal patrolling, OTRS volunteers ...)
- Have you been carrying out translations on other FLOSS / Open content projects? If so, what is difference and similarity in translation related activities there and on the Wikimedia project?
How do you carry out translations?
- How do you choose the articles or documents you translate?
- Which resources within the Wikimedia project do you often use? For example, WikiProject, mailing list, meta:Babylon or IRC chat?
- Which resources outside of the Wikimedia project do you often use? For example, support application like OmegaT, machine translation, dictionary websites, or online forum?
- Do you translate from more than one language at a time? (For example, a translation could be primarily done from the German-language Wikipedia, but with parts translated from the Italian-language and French-language Wikipedias.)
- Do you add information not in the text of the source language? If so, during or after your translation?
- Do you correct errors in the source language article when you come across them while working?
Translation and community
- Do you communicate with other Wikimedia community translators?
- If so, how?
- If not, why? Are you interested in such a communications in future?
- Do you communicate with translators outside of the Wikimedia community?
- If so, how?
- If not, why? Are you interested in such communications in future?
- Do you use the Project:Translation, or do you translate solo? In both cases, why?
Evaluation and criticism
- What do you think of your work in translation on the Wikimedia project?
- How do you think your work is seen by the rest of the community?
- Have you seen criticism of translations because the bibliography and sources are primarily or entirely in a foreign language?
- Would you like to see something changed in the way translation is done on Wikipedia or the other content-creating projects?
- What made you join translation activity on the Wikimedia project?
- Have you ever want to quit translation on the Wikimedia project?
- If so, why did you feel so? What had you keep staying?
- Have it changed your view to the Wikimedia project to carry out translation? Have it changed your view to translation?
- What do you think keep you doing translation on the Wikimedia project now?
Thank you for your cooperation!