User:Chinmayee Mishra/Odia Wikisource's 3rd anniversary/Report Draft
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Considering our small community this event was a great success for us. Initially, We had planned to work on some of the major issues that the Wikimedians were facing, and with the proper coordination of some of the experienced Wikimedians during the event, the day appeared to be really fruitful as per the plan. We started about 9 am that day and the event continued till 8 pm. Here I am giving the highlights of the event day and some of the after works of it.
- A full-time training session on different sections of Wikisource like how to collect old books/books with original author’s permission, how to scan books, how to upload them to commons and how to use them in Wikisource. It was meant to be an extended version of something which we had done before in previous workshops.
- We tried our best to stream the total event on social media so that it would also be helpful to those who were not physically present at the event place. The images were taken during the event and recorded videos are already uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. 
- To let all the participants know what does “copyright” actually mean different Wikimedia projects, a session of 40 minutes duration was there regarding this concept of copyright and OTRS followed by Wikimedia Bikash Ojha and the admin Mrutyunjaya Kar. All aspects of these things were demonstrated step by step and every question from the participants was well answered.
- Starting from uploading a book, the index creation part after bringing a book to Wikisource to give it a final touch, everything was demonstrated during the event by doing it right there by Wikimedia Prateek Patnaik, Jnanaranjan Sahu, and Dr. Subash Chandra Rout. Indexing, paging, content editing, some useful tools for editing texts and image, meanings of different color buttons while proofreading, everything was shown there.
- A short experience sharing session was there during which participants shared their words. Some of the solutions/guidance was given as per their needs after a brief discussion.
- How to use OCR for text recognition and the use of google drive tools for it was demonstrated by the admins Mrutyunjaya Kar and Jnanaranjan Sahu. More than 12 old copyright-free books were uploaded by during the demonstration process.
- Editing the contents and styling/text formatting was shown by Wikimedia Sangram Keshari Senapati and Chinmayee Mishra.
- The idea of starting 100 wiki days in Wikisource by creating one new page every day was given by Mrutyunjaya Kar. The intention behind this was to make this concept broad and more effective in Wikisource too just like this 100 wiki days concept is getting popular in other Wikimedia projects. This was appreciated and accepted by the participants.
- After completion of the workshop, a public meeting was hosted led by the chief guests accompanied by all the participants, media persons and some local writers. During this guest felicitation, Wikisource anniversary celebration was done and some token of appreciation was given to the Wikimedians.
- During the event we have also shared the success story of the Asian Athletic Championship edit-a-thon and Social media content licensing of Odisha Government, the official website of Chief Minister of Odisha.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- This time we got the grant in expected time so that the arrangement for the event was done properly. The coordination among the experienced Wikimedians and the interests of the participants made the event successful. I personally look forward to being a part of such other events in future.
- What did not work so well?
- Increase in the number of new editors would have been better.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will try to get more attention from media and will look for some other innovative way to spread awareness.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Serial||Item||Amount in INR|
|2||Venue, Food & Accomodation||26800|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
No, I have no funds left, rather I have spent some money from my own and I am happy with it.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Thank you for helping us organize the event. I am happy that everyone is happy with the event/venue/ organizing as well the outcome. We are happy that after a long waiting we have a fully fledged training session and most of the Wikipedia in our community has learned the process, worked and uploaded books by themselves, edited pages and done some proofread. After a long gap, we got a chance to see each other and share thoughts, discuss issues, visualize future goals and were happy. Thank you again.