User:Mike Peel/FDC Pledge and COI 2013
|This is a completed version of the form at Funds Dissemination Committee/Pledge of Commitment and Conflict of Interest Questionnaire. My answers and filled-in content are in italics.|
Purpose of this document
It is important to emphasize the significance of participating as a member of the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC). As a result, the Pledge of Personal Commitment has been created. To a great extent, this document mirrors the personal commitment of all WMF Board of Trustees as well as other general principles of governance. The pledge is a statement to be signed by each member of the FDC that sets out their promise to:
- Act in the best interests of the Wikimedia movement;
- Abide by the WMF Conflict of Interest Policy;
- Disclose, and abstain from any discussions or decisions that could be a conflict of interest;
- Act in good faith and fairly with other members of the FDC; and,
- Be guided by the Board of Trustee’s principles for funds distribution.
In addition, potential FDC members should complete the Conflict of Interest Questionnaire (below) to disclose upfront any potential conflicts of interest. This mirrors the form that the WMF Trustees must complete on an annual basis. Questionnaires of this sort are very standard for boards and their committees. They protect both the organisation and the individual from later allegations that something was not disclosed. As allowed by law, the completed questionnaire will be held in confidence and securely by the executive director and will not be shared other than with the Board of Trustees, the executive director, the chief financial officer, and WMF’s legal counsel. Both of these forms emphasize to the community and the members of the FDC the importance of being a part of the FDC and the key strategic role and commitment members of the FDC play in the funds dissemination process.
FDC Pledge of Personal Commitment
As a member of the Funds Dissemination Committee, organized under the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, I, Michael Peel, pledge to faithfully pursue the mission and goals of the Wikimedia movement, namely to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally. The FDC makes recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding the allocation of funds to support the mission goals of the Wikimedia movement, and I therefore recognize my responsibility to maintain the highest level of public confidence and trust.
I have personally committed to follow the standards set out below, including the Wikimedia Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy:
- I understand that the FDC is guided by the Board of Trustees' principles for funds distribution (as laid out in the Board’s January 2012 resolution) to protect core operations, assess impact, promote transparency and stability, support decentralized programs, promote responsibility and accountability, and make decisions openly and collaboratively. I agree to adhere to the FDC Framework.
- I agree to treat others with respect, to be honest and ethical in my interactions, and to respect the confidentiality of other members of the FDC.
- I will conduct my activities with the FDC so that I do not advance or protect my own interests, or the private interests of others with whom I have a relationship, in a way that is detrimental to the interests or fundamental mission of the Wikimedia movement.
- In any matter before the FDC that may favorably impact my own financial interests, or the private interests of others with whom I have a financial relationship, or another organization of which I am a part, I will reveal that relationship, and will abstain from any discussion or decision on that matter. If the organization at issue is a chapter or affiliate organization of which I am part, I will refrain from any discussion or decision that directly relates to that chapter or organization. I agree that in my capacity as an FDC member I will not accept compensation or payment in any form (including travel and lodging expenses) from persons or entities that have or are likely to have activities before the FDC, including requests for grants – unless otherwise permitted by the FDC charter or a Board resolution.
- When an apparent, potential, or real conflict of interest arises, I will promptly disclose it to the chair of the FDC, the chair of the Board of Trustees, and the executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation, to seek a resolution of that issue.
Entered into on this the 12th day of September, 2013.
FDC Conflict of Interest Questionnaire
The Board of Trustees requires each each member of the FDC to annually:
- Review the WMF's Conflict of Interest Policy (the “Policy”);
- Disclose any possible personal, familial, or business relationship that could reasonably give rise to a conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest in the Conflict of Interest Questionnaire; and
- Acknowledge by his or her signature that he or she is acting in accordance with the letter and spirit of the Pledge of Personal Commitment.
The information provided on this form will be available for inspection by members of the Board of Trustees, the executive director, the chief financial officer, and WMF’s legal counsel; however, as allowed by law, the information will otherwise be held in confidence except when, after consultation with the applicable signatory, the Board of Trustees determines that WMF’s best interest would be served by disclosure.
Please respond to the following questions to the best of your knowledge.
- List any Wikimedia affiliate organizations with which you are involved and describe your relationship to each entity. These include (but are not limited to) any movement partners, national or subnational chapters, thematic organizations, or user groups.
- I am a volunteer for Wikimedia UK. From 2008-2013 I was a trustee of WMUK. I was one of the founders of WMUK in 2008, and I subsequently served as its Membership Secretary, Chair and Secretary. Wikimedia UK will be applying to the FDC for funding in 2013-14 Round 1. For the WMF financial year 2013-14, I will be recusing myself from the discussion and decision about WMUK's application to the FDC.
- Disclose any compensation you have received from a Wikimedia affiliate organization within the past two years.
- I am documenting this on an ongoing basis at User:Mike Peel/Wikimedia compensation. This may not be a complete record, but any omissions from that page are accidental. Note that it consists solely of reimbursement of my expenses primarily from WMUK and WMF, both in my roles as a volunteer for that organisation.
- List all business dealings that you, your family members, or entities have had with WMF or other Wikimedia affiliate organizations in the past two years.
- I am not aware of any business dealings with Wikimedia that myself or my family members have entered into.
- If you aware of any other relationships, arrangements, transactions, or matters that could create an apparent, potential, or real conflict of interest, describe the situation.
- I am employed by the University of Manchester as a Research Associate at the Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics (JBCA). I have interests in astrophysics-related activities that are based in California, USA, as well as a number of other locations around the world where FDC meetings may take place. As a result, I may choose to take flights that arrive earlier or depart later than the dates of any FDC meetings that take place, or that take less direct routes to or from the meetings. Should this occur, I only expect to be reimbursed for the minimum expenses that would have been incurred to ensure my present at the relevant FDC meetings (although any other expenses may be reimbursed by the University of Manchester where appropriate). My astrophysics work is noncommercial in nature, and I will not receive any direct financial benefit aside from my salary and the reimbursement of my expenses.
I have read the WMF Conflict of Interest Policy and my Pledge of Personal Commitment and I am currently, and agree to remain, in compliance with both.
Entered into on this the 12th day of September, 2013.