User:Tbayer (WMF)/Converting Google Slides to wikitext
Some notes on efficiently converting a Google Slides deck into a wiki page (developed in this case: Google Slides version ---> wiki version), while roughly preserving font styles, illustrations, tables, text/table coloring etc.
Text and tables
- Copypaste the deck (in edit mode) slide by slide into a LibreOffice Writer (not LibreOffice Impress) document. (Select a slide in the film strip on the left, click somewhere outside the slide in the content area on the right, select the slide's entire content with e.g. Ctrl+A - see Google Slides keyboard shortcuts - and paste into the LibreOffice document.)
- Use the approach described here to export the resulting ODT file from LibreOffice as wikitext. This will preserve bold and italic text, hyperlinks and tables (including cell background colors, but borders need some more tweaks, see below).
- Font sizes get lost and need to redone manually.
- Improve table formatting e.g. by adding the wikitable class (example) and correcting the border thickness (example)
- The slide structure gets lost. One may want to manually add horizontal lines (
----) or section headings, in order to separate different slides.
- While the content of text boxes is exported fine, they are not preserved as elements - in particular, their formatting (e.g. background color) gets lost. So in case they carry extra formatting, one needs to recreate the boxes manually in the wiki version, e.g. as spans and divs, and readd the formatting.
- Images can be extracted in bulk (as PNG or JPG) by exporting the deck as PDF and using the
pdftohtmlcommand line tool from Poppler. NB: Cropping of images done inside Google Drive will not be preserved, i.e. one needs to crop the exported images again.
- For vector images, it's preferable to export them as SVG instead. One possibility is to copypaste each image into a Google Drawing document (File -> New - > Drawing), adjusting the page setup so that the image fits the canvas (not sure whether this can be done automatically), and exporting the resulting drawing as SVG via File -> Download.
- Upload the images to Commons manually and insert them into the new wiki page.
Notes about what doesn't work
Comments and tips welcome (I did not find anything useful at w:Wikipedia:Tools#Importing (converting) content to Wikipedia (MediaWiki) format or mw:Manual:Importing external content).