Timeless Newsletter • Issue 1
Welcome to the first issue of the Timeless newsletter! This issue is being sent or forwarded to everyone who has at some point expressed an interest in the project, give or take, as well as a couple of other potentially relevant pages, so if you would like to continue (or start) receiving this newsletter directly, please sign up for further updates on the meta page.
The Timeless grant has been selected for funding, and the project is now underway!
While I've had a somewhat slow start working on the project for health reasons, I'm pleased to announce that everything described in the proposal is now either happening, or on its way to happening.
- The project now has a hub on Meta to serve as a directory for the various related pages, workboards, and local discussions and help pages. It's probably incomplete, especially with regards to specific language projects that might have local pages for Timeless, so if you know of others, please add them!
- Outreach: I've been talking to various people and groups directly about skinning, desktop/mobile interfaces, project management, specific component support, and other things, and have begun to compile a very shoddy list of skinning problems and random issues on mw.org based on this. Some of this may inform the direction of this project, or possibly this project will result in building a more proper list that can then be used for other things. We shall see.
- Some development - task triage, code review, bug fixing, and various rabbit holes involving ...overflows.
General plan for the future:
- Triage the rest of the workboard.
- Catch up with all the talkpages and other bug reports that have been left various other places that are not the project workboard
- Do all the bug fixes/features/other things!
- Some proposals aimed at Commons and Wikisource in particular (maybe, we'll see)
Essentially, the grant as written shall be carried out. This was the plan, and remains the plan. Timelines remain fuzzy, but while there have been some initial delays, I don't particularly expect the timeline for project as a whole to change a whole lot.
Also, for anyone at Wikimania right now: I am also at Wikimania. Come talk to me in person!
Thank you all for your interest and support thus far!
This issue has been sent regardless of signup status. To receive future issues please add yourself on the massmessage list.
The Community Wishlist Survey
You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.
You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)