|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|Status||Stale (could be re-opened)|
|Reason||No support other than proposer, and no discussion other than proposer in 2 years.--GZWDer (talk) 12:12, 10 February 2017 (UTC)|
|What is the proposed name for the project?||Wikhypothesis|
What is the project purpose? What will be its scope? How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|How many wikis?
Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?
|How many languages?
Is the project going to be in one language or in many?
If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?
- 1 Wikhypothesis
- 2 Goals of Wikhypothesis
- 3 Sample Wikhypothesis page
- 4 Proposed by
- 5 Alternative names
- 6 Related projects/proposals
- 7 Domain names
- 8 Mailing list links
- 9 People interested
Whereas Wikipedia is a repository of facts, Wikhypothesis is a repository of hypotheses about how to change outcomes and all relevant evidence for said hypotheses. Thus, Wikhypothesis could serve as the backbone for a metaanalysis of any hypothesis humans care to consider by becoming an extremely concise metajournal of all human knowledge and knowledge acquisition.
Some example hypotheses:
|Does a change in X||have a significant impact upon Y?|
|Newborn sleep position (front vs back)||Newborn's morbidity and mortality rate?|
|Tax advantages of a Roth IRA in the United States||Gross household savings in the United States?|
|Quantity of lye-based drain clog remover used per year||Lifetime depreciation of the relevant plumbing?|
|Quantity of biological children||Female politician's probability of winning an election in the Nordic nations?|
|Population size of the American black bear (Ursus americanus) ||Dollar value of downstream flood damage?|
Goals of Wikhypothesis
The five areas of focus illuminated for any possible hypothesis would be:
- User Experience
Which methods were used to acquire data and/or conduct study?
- Neutrality: This project is neutral as to methods and simply reports any method and any limitation without value judgement. For each hypothesis page, only coded elements in the table receive a reference. While there may be 1,000 methods to knowledge, each page does not need to list them all.
Which mathematical, analytic, conceptual models were used to organize and analyze the data?
What is the proposed mechanism of action, how does X -> Y?
What is the basic outcome of the study: to accept or reject the hypothesis?
How to make Wikhypothesis work for users?
- Summary: Wikhypothesis must offer a metanalysis of all the evidence for and against each hypothesis in order to quickly help the user decide on their own confidence that the hypothesis is, or is not, true.
- Filtering: Wikhypothesis should introduce a filtering function for each column. Suppose you wanted to see only the studies using methods "a" or "m," you should be able to filter out the rest.
Sample Wikhypothesis page
- Daily Intake of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor XYZ --> Symptoms of Clinical Depression?
Summary: The Hypothesis is Very Likely True
|Study||Year||Source||Funding||Methods||Models of Analysis||Conclusion||Limitations||Proposed Mechanisms||??|
|Study 1||2013||Nature||NIH||a, m||c, e||Yes||c, f2||Chemical: neurons||Example|
|Study 2||2011||Lancet||OECD||META||a, c, e, f, m, n, o||No||x, j19||Chemical: neurons; Publishing bias||Example|
|Study 3||2010||JONEM||NIH||a, e, m||c, e, f||Yes||c, f2, p3||Chemical: neurons||Example|
|Study 4||2009||Unpublished||??||a||h||None||c||Chemical: neurons||Example|
Models of Analysis: