WikiAfrica Online Resources
Promotion - Outreach
Spots télévisés au Cameroun
- Spot télévision Cameroun (Danse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEqfAo8QPE
- Subtitles in English : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alVPMX7prwc
- Spot télévision Cameroun (Maladie): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dOce-RnpmA
- Subtitles in English : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5PnvwN0qo
Other cool videos
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkF5o6KPNI : Why Wikipedians are the Weirdest People on the Internet (YouTube) – a humorous presentation by Wikipedian Steven Walling about the culture of Wikipedia and its editors.
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:The_Impact_of_Wikipedia : A series of powerful videos of people from around the world explaining how Wikipedia has made an impact on them.
Understanding the way Wikipedia works
General information about Wikipedia
- Contributing to Wikipedia
- Wikipedia is not about YOU!
- Featured content on Wikipedia Featured content is the best Wikipedia has to offer, via vigorous peer review. Presented by type: Featured articles · Featured lists · Featured pictures · Featured portals · Featured sounds · Featured topics
- Featured content on the other projects
- Good Article criteria
- Wikipedia in projects at schools and universities
- Best practices in assigning Wikipedia articles as coursework to students
- Robert E. Cummings: Are We Ready to Use Wikipedia to Teach Writing?, in: Inside higher Ed (March 12, 2009)
- Academic studies of Wikipedia
Mechanics of editing Wikipedia
These printable PDF documents are designed to be handed out to students, either as part of a packet at the beginning of a Wikipedia assignment, or throughout the term at appropriate points.
- References – This handout explains why references are important, what the expectations for sourcing on Wikipedia are, where to place references, and the basics of adding "ref" tags.
- Reference formatting – This handout explains in more detail how to create footnotes for citing sources, and how to cite the same source multiple times.
- How to get help – explains the recommended way to get help and feedback for classes supported by Wikipedia Ambassadors: by posting on their course talk page and notifying their mentor. It also includes a glossary of additional help resources students might use.
- Plagiarism – explains what plagiarism is on Wikipedia—including "close paraphrasing"—in addition to why and how to avoid it.
- Convert tables and charts to wiki code or image files - Here are some tools, resources, tips, and instructions for converting tables and charts to wiki code or image files. Most of the tools and resources are free.
Analysing Wikipedia - videos/stats/animations
- http://www.lkozma.net/wpv/index.html Wikipedia Vision – an animated map that highlights live edits from users around the world as they happen, demonstrating the global nature of the project.
- http://www.manypedia.com Manypedia – a tool for comparing a specific Wikipedia page from a language edition Wikipedia (for example, English) with its equivalent page on another language edition Wikipedia (for example, Arabic), exploiting automatic translation and additional statistics about both pages such as number of edits and editors.
- http://sonetlab.fbk.eu/wikitrip/ WikiTrip – a tool for visualizing the animated evolution in time of two kinds of information about the Wikipedians who edited the selected page: their location in the world and their gender.
- http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/vis/ Mapping Wikipedia - World map visualisations of Wikipedia editing activity
Suggested training modules
- What is Wikipedia + How a ragtag band created Wikipedia (video)
- Before you start writing
- Editing Wikipedia
- Getting to know your topic area
- Getting started
- edit source vs. edit beta
- Working in a sandbox
- Text editing
- Citing sources tutorial
- How do I use talk pages?
- How to use a sandbox for stub articles and new articles
- My watchlist and how to use it
- Images, media and Commons.
- Introduction for students to Wikipedia
- Step-by-step guide for students in the Children's Museum of Indianapolis' Museum Apprentice Program
- Writing Wikipedia articles teaches information literacy skills, study finds
- Simple media reuse guide
There are several kinds of introductions to Wikipedia. Some you can do yourself, others you can with others.
- The Wikipedia Adventure
- Wikipedia Training Manual - A collaboration between the State Library of Queensland and Wikimedia Australia
- Wikipedia Training for Educators
- The Missing Manual
- Wikipedia Tutorial
Diversity and safety
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZTh2NKTm4 (What is Creative Commons?)