WikiClassics User Group/Reports/2020
The WikiClassics User Group was recognized as a Wikimedia user group on May 9, 2019. This report outlines our accomplishments and activities between May 2020 and August 2021.
Written by User:Epìdosis, User:Alexmar983
The activities continued to be difficult because of the COVID-19 pandemics.
We mostly focused on content-based activities, postponing more "social" event to the next years.
- 20th July 2020: small prize ceremony for Wiki Loves Classics 2019 (Facebook post)
Social media, communication and outreach
- The account on Twitter and the Facebook group are still active, especially the first one. Without any specific strategy it reached almost 500 followers. It keeps promoting content on different platforms, especially Wikidata properties and high-quality articles or images.
commons:Commons:Wiki Loves Classics is presently the main yearly activity of our user group.
The 2020 edition benefited of the experience from the previous edition and managed to engage a wider number of countries,including ones that were not taking part in 2019 such as Egypt, Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon.
Even if its organization and the evaluation of the photos were made difficult by the pandemic, we managed in any case to add another category to our evaluation, "women in classical culture".
Landscapes and views Ruben1307
Necropolis of Manduria
Landscapes and views Ludvig14
Temple of Concordia in Agrigento
Coexistence or contrast of modern and classics Manfred Werner
View through Portara on the peninsula Palátia towards Chora of Naxos with its port
Coexistence or contrast of modern and classics Hisham Mansour Zayadnh
The ruins in Jerash, one of the most well-preserved of Jordan’s Greco–Roman sites
Architectural details Hossam Manadily
Ceilings in Dendera Temple
Architectural details Jaro
The wall of the Roman Colosseum in Xanten, Germany
Museum collections and objects Sirleonidas
Mosaic at the National Archaeological Museum of Cividale del Friuli
Museum collections and objects Franc.melfi.71
Collection at the National Archaeological Museum of Melfi
Epigraphs and writings Francesco Bini
Roman Funerary steeles of Onorio Baldelli, at Museo dell'Accademia Etrusca in Cortona
Epigraphs and writings Francesco Bini
Fragment of the Eporis' Book of the Death, at Museo dell'Accademia Etrusca in Cortona
Women in Classical culture CrisNYCa
Statue of Fortuna at Constanța Museum of National History
The real important goal were not the winners per se but the work of categorizations and creation of metadata of uploaded images. We managed to create an analyisis of critical areas where Wikidata literacy is necessary, we plan to cooperate with the Wiki World Heritage Group about the topic in the future.
The subsequent IDs have been created (see also d:Template:Ancient world properties):
- P8216 (iDAI.chronontology ID)
- P8217 (iDAI.gazetteer ID)
- P8218 (Archaeology in Greece Online place ID)
- P8961 (tribunsdelaplebe.fr ID)
- P9314 (Latin Place Names ID)
- P9505 (Gardens of the Roman Empire ID)
- P9645 (Online Coins of the Roman Empire ID)
- P8310 (digilibLT work ID)
- P8311 (PHI Latin Texts work ID)
- P8312 (Musisque Deoque work ID)
- P8532 (Trismegistos text ID)
- P9000 (World History Encyclopedia ID, previously Ancient History Encyclopedia ID)
- P9106 (Oxford Classical Dictionary ID)
- P9736 (MANTO ID)
Epìdosis is still collaborating with JBradyK to import to Wikidata data about ancient places, people and works from ToposText; the collaboration extended to MANTO.
The project Testi latini strongly reinforced the coverage of Latin authors and works on Wikidata, ranging from the Antiquity to Middle Ages. it provided interesting feedback from academic institutions.
It was the first structured cooperation of the UG with another affiliates. We have submitted more proposal to another affilate, WMCH, for further activities.
The group currently involves 40 users.
- 2021-08-20: Followers on twitter informed.
- 2021-08-20: Annual report shared on telegram among other affiliates
- 2021-08-20: Annual report sent by mail to general Wikimedia and All-affiliates mailing list