WikiClubWest is the Western Australian branch of Wikimedia Australia.
In 2017 we were very fortunate to be physically located in the State Library of Western Australia (SLWA) — a research, reference and public lending library located in the Perth Cultural Centre in Perth, Western Australia. Earlier this year, SLWA set up an 'incubator space' on the first floor of the library, as a place for various community groups (such as Wikimedia Australia) and others to interact with the library's collections in a more in-depth way.
- There is also an icalendar feed of these events.
- 2018 February 10, 10:00 – 15:00: WikiSalon (casual Wikimedia edit-a-thon and general workshop). Focusing on maintenance of the English Wikipedia Western Australian wikiproject. Break for lunch in the café downstairs from 12–1PM.
- 2018 January 20, 10:00 – 16:00: WikiSalon (casual Wikimedia edit-a-thon and general workshop). Break for lunch in the café downstairs from 12–1PM.
- 2017 December 9, 10:00 – 17:00: Casual Wikimedia edit-a-thon and general workshop. See also wikipedia:Wikipedia:Meetup/Perth/43.
On Saturdays in July 2017, between 1 and 3 p.m. in the BiblioTECH space, State Library of Western Australia, we ran the following open editing sessions:
- July 1st – Referencing and citations in Wikipedia. Useful links: WikiProject WA; cleanup listing.
- July 8th – General Wikimedia editing session
- July 15th – Perth on Wikipedia
- July 22nd – Genealogy in Wikimedia (including Wikidata)
- July 29th – Creating maps with QGIS (in collaboration with Geogeeks)
We also ran the following round-table discussions with Wikipedians on Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. in the BiblioTECH space:
- July 12th – Digitize and destroy, or digitize and preserve? — Is digitization destructive or valuable in the preservation of items?
- July 19th – Success and transgressions — Should a notable person's transgressions impact on the recognition of their place in history?
- July 26th – Wikipedia, friend or foe? — Is Wikipedia a competitor for the sharing of knowledge, or a complementary partner to traditional methods?
- August 2nd — Wikipedia and Western Australia - What fits? does Western Australia fit in an online encyclopedia, or does Wikipedia fit into Western Australia?
The BiblioTECH space was also used to host events related to Noongarpedia, the first Australian indigenous language wiki:
August 6th — Noongarpedia wikibomb and historical image uploading sessionPostponed
- August 20th — Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Meetup/Perth/39
The Studio 001 incubator space (which used to be called Bibliotech until that turned out to be a protected term) has a number of desks, fast wifi, and other facilities to make it a good place for research, collaboration, and learning. For more information, see the SLWA website.
Wikimedia Australia (WMAU) is working with SLWA to have Wikimedians working in the incubator space for an initial period from 20 May 2017 until 18th August 2017, after which the partnership may continue with the space being shared with other like-minded groups (such as the WA Genealogical Society, other WA libraries, and possibly Landgate).
The main aim for our time in the space will be to help interested people enhance and create Wikimedia material, ideally using references to the SLWA collections. (On a related note, there is also work being done on making it easier to construct Wikipedia citation templates from SLWA catalogue entries.)
WMAU will use the space for Strategy discussions, talks, wikibombs, and other activities. There will be a Storylines project kiosk hosted in the room while we are there. Community Tech software engineer Sam Wilson will be working from the space.
Experienced Wikimedians will be on site in the BiblioTECH space for most days of July 2017.
We welcome any visitors no matter how simple or complex the questions, or the subject in relation to the Wikimedia projects.
During the month of July we are available to offer small groups, short and easy to understand presentations on Wikimedia projects, ranging from specific projects (Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wikisource, and so on), on how to upload photographs or to edit articles.
If you know a small group who would like to come in to learn more about Wikimedia please contact us to arrange a time suitable to you and the Wikimedians.
In the library...
Wikimedia Australia and WikiClubWest have hosted regular events at State Library of Western Australia from our first meetup in 2007. There have been Wikitakes and Wikibombs as well as Noongarpedia collaboratively working with the SLWA Storylines project on Noongar knowledge. WMAU Andy Mabbett's Wikidata tour in 2016 included a talk in the State Library of Western Australia about Wikidata, Noongarpedia, and Toodyaypedia WikiTown project as well as workshop.
- 27 May 2017: The Right Wrongs exhibition was opened
- 3 June 2017: WMAU WA branch meeting
- 8 June 2017: Trove Roadshow (not a WMAU event)
- 10 June 2017: WMAU WA branch meeting (strategy discussions)
- 2 - 9 July 2017: NAIDOC Week 2017 celebration in the Perth Cultural Centre
- 29 - 30 July 2017: Disrupted Festival of Ideas
- July 2017: Turn Back Time display - Historical panoramas
- Noongarpedia, Australia's first indigenous-language wiki project
- Wikiclub NT (Northern Territory) see 
- QWiki Club (Queensland)