WikiConference India 2011/Submissions/Kerala Sarvavijnanakosham and Malayalam Wikipedia
This is an open submission for WikiConference India 2011.
- 14:53, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
- Title of the submission
Kerala Sarvavijnanakosham and Malayalam Wikipedia
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, or presentation)
This is a presentation about the Malayalam Wiki project/Sarvavijnanakosham.
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- State of your origin (Country, if you are not based in India)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
No affiliation with Wikimedia foundation. I am only a user, editor of Wikipedia also a working professional.
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (maximum 500 words)
This story is about an effort to increase the content of the Malayalam Wikipedia where the community is successful in getting the content from the Kerala Government officially published Encyclopedia called as SarvavijnanaKosham. In 2008, Kerala government Education minister announced about giving the content of SarvavijnanaKosham to Malayalam Wikipedia. The SarvavijnanaKosham contains nearly 21 volumes, each with ~1600 article; out of which four volumes are published online. The license of the website content is changed to GNU Free Documentation License 1.2. Malayalam wikipedian a groups 7 users started transferring the content from the website to Malayalam Wikipedia. Under the project while transferring the content the users make sure that it wikified, possible images added, interwiki given etc. This presentation is about the idea behind getting the content, the project coordination, current status and future of this project. This project is one of the motivating project and rich in content where we are getting the article content which are written by subject matter expert in SarvavijnanaKosham for last 70 years.
- Track (Community/Knowledge/Outreach/Technology)
- Will you attend Wikiconference if your submission is not accepted?
With or without, I want to be part of Wikiconference India. This is one of the platform where I can get to know about the Indic users, editors across the county. Also it is a very good platform to increase the interaction between the wiki editors.
- Slides or further information (optional)