WikiConference India 2011/Submissions/Legal Aspects of Wiki Culture
|This is an open submission for WikiConference India 2011.|
- 12:52, 15 August 2011 (UTC)
- Title of the submission
Legal Aspects of the Wiki Culture
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, or presentation)
A presentation followed by a Q &A.
- Author of the submission
Adv. Somnath Bharti
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- State of your origin (Country, if you are not based in India)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Attorney, Supreme Court of India
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (maximum 500 words)
The proposed presentation followed by Q & A is targeted towards educating the internet community on the relevant laws, including those on copyright and privacy, to be kept in mind while posting articles/views/opinions and how to ensure their strict compliance throughout the internet life of their work. India being sensitive to local community belief systems, I intend to educate the participants on how to keep the balance between exercising the fundamental rights viz. freedom of speech and expression and not disturbing the ethos and belief systems of the people at large. The work by the internet community is open to be weighed by and on the legal systems of various countries but the compliance of a ready made checklist can keep the wiki contributors away from legal hassles. Since India is still catching up on the internet revolution/evolution given the size of Indian population, Indian courts and jurisprudence are still evolving the concerns of Internet and the compliance thereof vis-a-vis the laws of India. Being a practicing attorney and an alumnus of IIT Delhi, I am the best bet to talk on technology and law.
- Track (Community/Knowledge/Outreach/Technology)
- Will you attend Wikiconference if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
I would provide slides and further information elaborating what I intend to do during the talk/presentation in some time.