WikiConference India 2011/Submissions/The Tamil Wiktionary Story
This is an open submission for WikiConference India 2011.
- 17:14, 30 August 2011 (UTC)
- Title of the submission
The Tamil Wiktionary story - How Tamil wiktionary became a top 10 wiktionary and how it is staying there.
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, or presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
Email is in user preference
- State of your origin (Country, if you are not based in India)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (maximum 500 words)
Tamil wiktionary is currently ranked at number 10 in list of wiktionaries (by number of entries) and has earned a place in the Wiktionary.org frontpage. It is the only Indic language project to make it to the top ten in its class so far. Beyond numbers, it has become a valuable resource for translators and students and is used for translation help in customising software in Tamil. In this presentation, we will present how this growth came about and where we plan to take wiktionary next.
- Track (Community/Knowledge/Outreach/Technology)
- Will you attend Wikiconference if your submission is not accepted?
Sodabottle will attend as a member of the program committee. Thagaval.Uzhavan has applied for a scholarship and requires one to come to Mumbai.
- Slides or further information (optional)