How to register
All you have to do join this contest is to add your username below with a link to your home language user page; then, when you create or improve pages in any languages, come back here and add a link to each page under your name, with the score you claim. To register, please follow the format of the Example below. Also take a look at our scoring system below. Please add the hashtag #WikiGap in your edit summary, to make it easy for us to find your contributions.
You are responsible for counting your own points. Here's how to do it:
- +0.5 point for each image added to a Wikipedia article in any language (including your own photos).
- +1 point for each +1,000 bytes of added content to a Wikipedia article in any language.
- +1 point for each corresponding Wikidata item that you create or improve.
- +1 point for each new source you add to an existing Wikipedia article in any language.
- +1 point for each new source you add to an existing Wikidata object.
- +5 points if your article is one of the proposed ones from the organizing teams.
- +5 points for each new translation of a Wikipedia article to any language.
- +25 points for a Good Article in any language.
- +50 points for a Featured Article in any language.
- BONUS POINTS: If you convince an experienced editor (100+ edits) to join the Challenge - you will get +10 points when they have done their first contribution. Make sure to get your wiki friends involved!
The points are cumulative.
The organizers have the final say in the scoring of the contributions, and will clarify the rules and points if needed. Please note that the aim is to improve Wikipedia with high quality articles, so any content of low quality that has been added will lose points or even result in a ban from the contest, if the organizers so decide.
- Please remember
The points are simply here to make this more fun. Even if you do not join the Challenge to win we would love to learn about your work after the event, so please highlight it here. Your contribution is valuable in itself and with each edit you help make Wikipedia better.
- If you add 3,600 bytes of content to an existing article, you get 3 points.
- If you translate an article into Turkish and it is 4,100 bytes long, you get 9 points: 5 points for starting a new article and 4 for its extension.
- If you add a 3,600 bytes of wikitext (templates, infoboxes, citations) to an existing article, you get 3 points.
- If you are the main editor of a new Featured article with e.g. 153,000 bytes of content written by you… you get 153 points for the bytes, and 100 points (and our eternal gratitude :-) for reaching the Featured article status.
If you are a new Wikipedia editor, first of all, welcome! We suggest that you take a look at Wikipedia:Translation and the en:Wikipedia:Introduction. That will make it easier to get going! When you start writing, the Manual of Style might be of help. These links go to Wikipedia in English, but all these pages are available in many languages. When you visit them, please have a look on the left-hand side (under "Languages") and see if they exist in your language as well. Every language version of Wikipedia is unique, with its own community and its own conventions, so it's good to have a look at the rules.
Contributing to Wikipedia is easier now than ever before and you don't really have to learn any code! Please have a look at Wikipedia:VisualEditor for more information.
- Events before 8 March
If you have taken part in a physical/offline WikiGap event before the 8 March you can add all the contributions that you made during the event here. Please note that you can not add contributions that you have submitted in the time between the event and the 8 March (i.e. if your event took place on the 1 March you can only include the contributions made during the event and not contributions between 2-8 March).