WikiIndaba conference 2014/Day 3/Team 2 WikiIndaba Strategy
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Team spokes person
- Rexford Nkhasah
Q1: What can be done to increase understanding and use of wikipedia in Africa?
This question is answered in a similar way with Question 2.
Q2: What can be done to attract users? What subjects are effective?
- Attract users
- Raise awareness levels of wikipedia by using social media to refer people to wikipedia articles about recent events.
- Create an advertising plan for Wikipedia/Wikipedia Zero:
- TV commercial about wikipedia/Wikipedia Zero. Use an insert of professors who use wikipedia as case studies.
- Billboard advertising campaigns.
- Study costs and feasibility of doing a pilot in four countries in Africa.
- Organize press releases through WMF contacts etc to get country updates in main stream media.
- Organize a photo event like WLM. Upload marathon.
- Use social media campaigns.
- Start student ambassador program.
- Local history and local languages
- Relating history to current events such as anniversaries.
Q3: How should we organize ourselves to work together going forward?
- Theresa is available full time and can organize meetings and dates/times from WMZA.
- Organize regional groups according to interest focus groups eg:
- Photo contests
- Each interest focus should have a contact person for continent as a start then when more people are in the group, divide to regional contact people.
Q4: What is the best way/tool to stay connected as a group and regions going forward?
- Not another mailing list!!!! Use mailing list for announcements only and period updates of group activities.
- Use meta as main space for discussions. Africa portal on meta? [Ioland Pensa]
- Organize skype/Hangout online conference to have a web meeting.
- Once every three months.
- Keep face book and Twitter for repeat of announcements on mailing list.
Measure of success:
- Have at least four regions with one vibrant community in each region in Africa in the next two - three years.
- Stratergy of involving local communities to buy into advertisements, before, during and after advertising campaigns. You need a vibrant community to handle each stage.
- What does it mean to have a vibrant community? What metrics are used?
- Send request for user introduction to specific wikis in specific countries to Asaf ;Jessie and Anasuya.