WikiLove is a MediaWiki extension that allows a user to easily create a formatted message on another user's talk page. The purpose is to facilitate people expressing appreciation for one another and leaving "gifts," including barnstars.
In 2012, the community here on Meta Wiki considered whether to enable the extension here, and decided against.
There has been research on the effects of WikiLove: Research:WikiLove
Support for another discussion about enabling Wikilove
As it has been a few years now, if you would like to have another discussion about enabling Wikilove on the Meta-wiki, sign below. A significant demonstration of support for discussing this could be a basis for a renewed discussion.
- Ijon (talk) 07:15, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:04, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
- Tito Dutta (talk) 13:28, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- Sure, it would be good to have a discussion
that is well informed by research. On a side note though, the page you link, Ijon seems a bit opaque to me. It's difficult to decipher the conclusions from the hypotheses (the dates of the images under "results" are very similar to the proposal date), the dates are not clearly expressed on the main page, the strength of the conclusions, how (if at all) they were reviewed by others, etc. The banner at the top says it's "in progress," but the page hasn't been updated since 2012. In the intervening four years, at least one of the key personnel has left their position; and two of the other key personnel are listed as having "summer" positions, which would suggest they have not been working on this since. Perhaps, prior to opening such a discussion, somebody could synthesize and (if appropriate) expand the information presented, to support a better-informed deliberation.-Pete F (talk) 18:58, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- (I was not the one who added the link to the Research namespace page.) The best person I can think of to offer a summary of the current situation is Kaldari. Ijon (talk) 19:54, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Pete F. I recently had a discussion with Ashton Anderson, one of the authors of this work to expand his research by bringing (a modified version of) some of his findings to Wikipedia, potentially by engaging some communities who are interested to experiment in this area. The hardest component of the work/research for introducing barnstars in a more systematic way to Wikipedia is getting the culture right. If you're interested in this topic, I'd be happy to start working on this project earlier rather than later. Just let me know. --LZia (WMF) (talk) 10:17, 20 May 2016 (UTC)