To be able to succeed with a project of this scale, we welcome all initiatives, large and small to complement the work that is being done by Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you intend to create a whole set of learning resources in a topic on Wikiversity, engage all researchers on your university faculty or if you have a set of related photos that you want to release under a free license they can all be integrated in the ongoing work.
Wikimedia projects are asynchronous in nature so that initiatives in different areas are ongoing, sometimes overlapping and sometimes with no actvity, are to be expected and should not be thought of as a bad thing, but rather an advantage to make the project itself sustainable.
Listed below are ongoing initiatives, ideas and finished projects. Do list any project that you think have been missed, and please also share new ideas.
Ideas and initiatives in planning
- Mbazzi Village writes Wikipedia
- Train the trainers bootcamp in Uganda
- The ESD East Africa programme that is being implemented under WWF Regional Office for Africa (ROA) has some focus on Wikimedia projects.
- Working together with Akvo to integrate freely licensed material from Akvopedia, an open multilingual portal about water and sanitation.
- Understanding Sustainable Agriculture Through Wikipedia
- Batch upload of images from the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance
- Setting up a Wikipedia center in Uganda