|A pencil on a magnifying glass|
|Status of the proposal|
|Reason||no activity since march, minimal activity period Dronebogus (talk) 21:48, 21 July 2022 (UTC)|
|Details of the proposal|
|Project description||A search engine by the Wikimedia Foundation. You could use your WikiPedia account. You type something into the search bar, and it will take you to a page with results. They will be monitored so only RELIABLE sources are included.|
|Is it a multilingual wiki?||yes|
|Potential number of languages||English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Greek, Old English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, Ukranian, Belarussian, Finnish, Sweedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Greenlandic, Inuktitut, Cherokee, Mongolian (Traditional), Mongolian (Crylic), Uzbek (Latin), Uzbek (Arabic), Uzbek (Crylic), Turkmen, Urdu, Dari, Kashmiri, Punjabi, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telgu, Bengali, Afrikaans, Xhosa, Malayalam, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Cantonese, Korean (South Korea), Kazakh, Indonesian, Malay, Tuvaluan, Hawaiian.|
|New features to require||It will need the ability to not have case sensitivity in page titles.|
|Development wiki||Does your project have a technical-development wiki (e.g., in Wikimedia Labs)?|
|List of project participants|
WikiSearch will be a search engine powered by WikiMedia. One can type into the search bar, and it will bring up search results on that particular topic. By default, all types of results will show. However, subpages of the search query shall let one search images, videos, audio, and WikiPedia. The edit button will allow editing. However, policies will state that only reliable sources are placed.
One shall not be able to edit if they are not logged in. They will need an account. To get an account, one shall have to create one at Special:CreateAccount. Also, for 4 days and 10 edits, one also shall not be able to edit popularly searched pages. If one edits another, less-searched, non-semiprotected page, they have to await moderation. If it is clearly vandalism, all of their edits, including after 4 days and 10 edits have past, will be moderated by the Admin team. If they still try to do stuff that is clearly vandalism, they shall be blocked.
User:Eshaan011 (edited as IP by accidentally logging out)
- Eshaan011 (talk) 16:37, 13 November 2020 (UTC)
- Netgo123 (talk) 05:19, 20 October 2021 (UTC)
- Kylaix (talk) 06:42, 18 December 2021 (UTC)
- Comment a pretty futile proposal if you ask me, there are tons of reliable search engines out there, I don't think that this would be any special. But since this is still a fresh proposal, im willing to hear you out. Can you elaborate on this and explain why it's different from any other project that exists within or outside the wmf? Arep Ticous 03:39, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- Comment I added further information. — The preceding unsigned comment was added by Eshaan011 (talk) 19:42, 23 November 2020 (UTC)
- Comment I might be willing to support if this search engine would be unique, and not just like Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask, DuckDuckGo, Qwant, Ecosia, Startpage, etc. Random Wikimedian (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 15:29, 25 February 2021.
- Comment: See Knowledge Engine. -- [talk • contribs] 19:46, 20 March 2022 (UTC)