WikiWomen's User Group/Reports/2018
The WikiWomen’s User Group was recognized as a Wikimedia user group in July 19, 2015. This report outlines the accomplishments and activities supported by the group between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018.
- September 2017, “Women of the Olympics and Paralympics: Wiki Edit-A-Thon”, LA84, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- November 2017, The Women in Red contest, was facilitated by Dr. Blofeld who received a grant from the WMF to run it. As a result, 4,492 new articles were created in the month on EN-wiki. It was the first time that we created >=4,000 articles in a month.
- June 2018, "American Woman" training and editathons, Paramount Network, NowThis, Hollywood, California, U.S.
- (July) Dance
- (Aug) Indigenous women
- (Aug-Dec) #1day1woman
- (Sep) Hispanic & Latina women
- New Zealand
- (Oct) Women and disability
- Nordic women
- (Nov) The World Contest
- (Dec) Seasonal celebrations
- First Ladies
- Go local!
- (Jan) Prisoners
- Fashion designers
- Great Britain and Ireland
- (Feb) Black women
- Mathematicians and statisticians
- Island women
- (Mar) Women's History Month
- (Apr) April+Further with Art+Feminism
- Military history
- Geofocus: Indian subcontinent
- (May) Women of the Sea
- Central & Eastern Europe
- (June) WiR Loves Pride
- Singers and Songwriters
- Women in GLAM
- Be bold on a budget of $0 at Women in Red's Ideas Cafe - WikiWomenCamp2017.pdf at Women in Red's Ideas Cafe.pdf
July 2017, "Be bold on a budget of $0 at Women in Red's Ideas Cafe", WikiWomenCamp, Mexico City, Mexico
On attendance at Wikimedia Conference 2018
- Wikiwomen meetup: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2018/Thematic,_regional_language-specific_meetups/WikiWomen_meetup#Attendees
Camelia Boban presented wikidonne, Mckenzie Art+feminism and we also got to know about #VisibleWikiWomen from Marianna Fossatti. The great postcards generated by this project were distributed during the conference.
We then discussed about the need for cross wiki and cross project cooperation and sisterhood, as well as the challenges to help new leaders emmerge (let alone from contributors pasionate about the gender gap). We organized into workshops that will work further in the future on the following subjects: leadership, policy, harrassment, allyship, connection. We were lucky to have Alex Wang (WMF) and User:CSteigenberger (WMF). --Nattes à chat (talk) 23:06, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia Conference this year focused heavily on strategy and steps forward for our Movement and I was pleased that there were many sessions and conversations that revolved around diversity and equity issues, whether that be implicitly or explicitly. I especially found Learning Days sessions (at both Wikimedia Conference and Wikimania) to be useful programming for both new and experienced Wikipedians to engage thoughtfully around our problems and finding steps forward - especially when thinking about how to engage new users. I find it difficult to discuss our problems with new partners and potential editors and to then build sustainable models but the intense collaboration of Learning Days was helpful in this regard. --Kellyjeanne9 (talk) 17:43, 28 July 2018 (UTC)