WikiWomenCamp/Agenda/Organizing wiki events
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Round table about our experiments
- RencentChangesCamp x2.
- responsabilities: venue, food, lodging as well
- sometime too much responsabalities
- want to launch wikimontreal
- school final big events
- 400 peoples
- responsabilities : venue, food, lodging as well
- no experience (yet)
- event organiser: Tedx events
- Katika :
- training class for wikipedia
- difficulties to find good internet connection
- difficulties to gap communities
- journalist not interested
- In russia, there are wikipedia meetup but too big and not consultative
Tips for event organising, from Nila's experience in South East Asia
You're not a solo artist, you need to share responsabilities on logistics ! (overwise you wont enjoy it).
- Divide the time in 3 periods:
- pre-event meeting :
- 1 unformal with friends
- 1 more open with other people
- Event (review the agenda set up ?)
- post event meeting :
- identify issues
- way to learn from difficult, a follow up
- pre-event meeting :
- Semi unconference => so we don't have to set up the agenda
- Openspace is lots of fun
- Have topics a bit out of topics, it is lots of fun
- to have a general overview of the event
- find a good place (university helped for the venue)
- find the good date
- Traditional media (Journalist help get more funding in the future)
- Journalist: should know them, what they want, bring them for nice photographs
- in Russia: journalist only like translated news, FAQ news and edit wars
- Target group: bigger that just wiki users, but photographs ? studient ? local people ? artist ? residents ?
- Social media :
- make sure you have flicker, youtube, twitter, facebook
- Make use of everyone's network
- Make sure the internet connexion is good !
- Using Companies Logo ? ethics ?
- Logo size depending of how much they give
- Get politician support ? alternative parties ?
- in Russia: We try to make it unpolitical but lots of wikipedian are politicised.
- very important to bring and keep important
- get money companies or institutions and administration so to buy food
- or ask people to bring some food for a nice starting potluck
Design or creative person(s)
- a designer: to design a logo, a flyer... (find modes of distribution)
- a space designer: to design-organise the venue
- Musicians for night ? : approach young bands composed of young people.
- Local/national/international ?
In a wiki event, not only encourage wikipedian to come but photopgraphers, other potential people for this subject attention
- How to convince people that the meeting is important.
- define why you want to have this meeting
- meeting 1 Invitation for close friends, in a coffee. + it's going to be fun.
- meeting 2 Identify the responsabilities (see list up)