|This project page documents a project currently in progress.|
This is a community space
You may look for current photographic contest, on Commons.
Wiki Loves Africa (WLA) is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute free media that is relevant to their experience to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia communities (Wikimedia movement), and also make this shared media freely available for the Humankind.
Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and is chosen by the community from a few universal, visually rich and culturally specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The project is a one-month competition which will next take place from Feb 15th till April 30th 2021
Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could include any universal, visually rich and culturally specific topic (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
- 2014: Cuisine
- 2015: Cultural Fashion and Adornment
- 2016: Muzyka i Taniec
- 2017: Ludzie w Pracy
- 2019: Graj!
- 2020: Africa on the move!
- 2021: Health and Wellness
- A survey dedicated to all participants of Wiki Loves Africa is now open. Please participate to it for WLA future!
- Announcement of the Wiki Loves Africa 2021 winners at Wikimania 2021 virtual Conference. Consult the winning pictures.
- All national winners are announced: Consult the winning pictures
- Round 1 to 4 of the International jury process
- Selection of international prize winners
- Announcement of Wiki Loves Africa 2021-WPWP campaign prize
- Recruitment and on-boarding of Wiki Loves Africa 2021 Int'l jury
- Initial review of the submitted entries by volunteers Commonists
- The contest launched on 15th February 2021
- Wiki Love Africa 2021 Webinar: IP, copyright, and licenses
- First Wiki-meeting Saturday 23rd at 10 am UTC+1.
- The results of the WLA public survey are published.
- We are excited to announce the winners of the ISA Tool challenge for #AfricaontheMove!! The challenge saw 68,010 data contributions by 18 participants. The winning 3 participants contributed the majority, with the top 2 (Killy95 and Rwebogora) totalling 52,238 entries. Amazing result, thank you for taking part! View more results.
- Request for Rapid Grants to Wikimedia Foundation can be done till Dec 15th (and not beyond...)
- A survey dedicated to all organizers of Wiki Loves Africa is now open. Please participate to it for WLA future!
- If you are interested in receiving news from time to time directly onto your meta page, please add your name on Recipients subpage
- Friend project AfroCine/Months of African Cinema (a contest/edit-a-thon for creating African cinema-related articles for October and November 2020...]
- The newest ISA campaign on Wiki Loves Africa 2020 images is open. Please join it to improve the description and addition of structured data to the images of our contest.
- The results of the survey submitted to National Leads are published.
The project is run across the whole continent, however, some specific actions (training, communication etc.) are held in some countries with national organisers.
Wiki Loves Africa has achieved much over 7 years:
- Over 72,375 images collected
- 9,269 unique submitters
- Images viewed 762 millions times altogether (June 2021)
- 280+ events in 23 African countries
- Submitted images viewed 43 million times each month (May 2020);
- 82%+ of competitors are newbies;
- Image included in the Journeys Through Our Fragile Heritage exhibition at the UNESCO, Paris; and
- Wiki Loves Africa’s ISA tool is the Winner of the Best Multimedia Tool Prize at WikiData Conference 2019