What is a short name for the activity/project you are proposing?
- your name and/or Wikimedia username
- your contact e-mail
- "Allow other users to email me" is enabled
- your nearest city and country
- Kolkata, India
Details of team members (optional)
If this application is for a team project, each additional team member (up to 5 total) should have their name/username, project role, location, and contact details here:
- R Ashwani Banjan Murmu (talk); Odisha, India.
- Ramjit Tudu (talk); Odisha, India.
- Joy sagar Murmu (talk); Assam, India.
Tell us about your proposed project. What will you get achieved with this time?
Describe why you think this project is important, and how the project is different from your normal volunteer contributions.
The Santali language has been in use over thousands of years mainly in oral communication. Now in order to broaden its utility, it has become necessary to document the Santali language in our Open Knowledge movement and make it freely available for everyone from anywhere. Our concern would be to find out how to guarantee the availability and accessibility of this information for our future generations and/or researchers.
The prime utilization of these e-scholarships is to have a pilot workshop that is focused on documenting, i.e. creating citations and bibliographic data for Santali spoken common words whose existence both spoken (pronunciation) or written are missing on Wikimedia projects like Wiktionary, Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons(pronunciation as .wav files) and even on Wikipedia to a certain extent. A humble effort will be made by our team to initiate the compilation process of the same by documenting both (verbally((pronunciation recording)) and written). To start with we expect to document around 200 santali words, (if possible more) in 4 days time and we will work to further design and implement this kind of project for a longer duration, as we finish this pilot project.
We will using the following books as references:
- Tri lingual Santali Dictionary, Published by santali Academy, West Bengal Govt. India.
- Santali Dictionary Publised by Mrs Maina Tudu
- Santali Word Book Published by Biria Charan Tudu
- Santali Dictionary Published by Muchiram beshra
- Tri lingual dictionary published by Govt of Odisha Online santali dictionary by Govt of Odisha, India
Describe how you (and, if applicable, your team)are able to achieve this project. What skills, expertise, and motivation do you have which will enable you to succeed?
- Rajeeb a passionate Wikimedian from Kolkata, India, contributes in several Wikimedia projects like Wikidata, Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikivoyage in different voluntary capacity.He has extensive experience in linking Wikidata to other Wikimedia projects and vice-versa.
- R Ashwani Banjan Murmu (talk); Odisha, India; Santali Wikimedian, contributing in Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata.
- Ramjit Tudu (talk); Odisha, India; Santali Wikimedian, contributing in Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata.
- Joy sagar Murmu (talk); Assam, India; Santali Wikipedian.
- ARYAN MURMU (talk); Odisha, India; Santali Wikipedian.
Proposed activity dates
When will you undertake this project? (This may be two, three or four days. Not necessarily consecutive). The latest allowable date is 1 May 2021.
The activity will try to be completed within 4 days (preferably saturdays/sundays) as follows:
- 1 day (saturday/sunday) to focus on how we connect with each other (preferably online by Zoom/Google meet), working on documentation steps and kick start the project, nominally in November.
- 2 days (saturdays/sundays) retrieving the data and documenting the same, nominally in November or December.
- 1 day (saturday/sunday) for checking on how the output looks and if there is any further improvements need to be done (may be expanded to 2 days if improvements needed) - nominally in November or December.
The exact days are subject to participants availability. Hopefully the project will be completed by December 2020, but it may extend into early 2021 if needed (definitely ending before 1 May 2021).
Optional: Community members are encouraged to endorse your proposal and leave a rationale here.
- I have all confidence that something useful will be the result of this effort --Kritzolina (talk) 15:38, 1 October 2020 (UTC)
- I believe the team will ensure good implementation of the project.Joy Agyepong (talk)