What is a short name for the activity/project you are proposing?
Internationalized/improved Scholia tool
- your name and/or Wikimedia username
Boris Bahire Kabeja - User:Mrbobax
- your contact e-mail
- your nearest city and country
Details of team members (optional)
If this application is for a team project, each additional team member (up to 5 total) should have their name/username, project role, location, and contact details here:
User:Mrbobax (Boris Bahire), Project Lead collaborator, Kigali/Rwanda User:Byjanvier (Janvier Byiringiro), project collaborator developer, Kigali/Rwanda
Tell us about your proposed project. What will you get achieved with this time?
Describe why you think this project is important, and how the project is different from your normal volunteer contributions.
The Scholia tool is a great one that has been helpful to creates visual scholarly profiles for topic, people, organizations, species, chemicals, etc using bibliographic and other information in Wikidata.
This is mainly done by pulling the info from Wikidata and the English Wikipedia. Although the tool works well, there is no possibility to also pull data that come specifically to other Wikipedia pages other than the English Wikipedia.
We would like to improve Scholia and more functionalities that would enable to pull data from more other languages other than English WP, this project will use Kinyarwanda as a prototype along with a documentation on how, if another person would like to customize it to own language, would do it for a future local language customization. The project will be built from the source codes available on the Scholia GitHub.
Describe how you (and, if applicable, your team)are able to achieve this project. What skills, expertise, and motivation do you have which will enable you to succeed?
- Boris Bahire Kabeja (User:Mrbobax), I have been involved a various Wikimedia projects such as Wiki Loves Africa, Wiki Loves Earth, WPWP, etc and has got experience with Python as well.
- Janvier Byiringiro (User:Byjanvier), has just joined Wikipedia but has got a quite high level programming experience with various projects worked on his portfolio
Proposed activity dates
When will you undertake this project? (This may be two, three or four days. Not necessarily consecutive). The latest allowable date is 1 May 2021.
- 17th Oct 2020
- 24th Oct 2020
- 31st Oct 2020
- 7th Nov 2020
A final report of the work done can be found here via this link .
Optional: Community members are encouraged to endorse your proposal and leave a rationale here.
- I realise the grant has already been awarded, but I wanted to say that this is a great idea! Good luck to User:Mrbobax. Richard Nevell (talk) 11:01, 23 October 2020 (UTC)